Found this little cracker!!

Sburdy

I'm suspicious.

Not saying this is wrong, but I'm skeptical. There have been some chinese copy 070s around.

The bar and chain are Stihl, but they're in very modern packaging - is there an overlap between the end of the 070 and that style packaging being introduced?

The 070 is shown in very fresh looking polystyrene, which generally goes yellow with age, but no cardboard box. Why not?

Is this a non-AV model - how late were these still being built?

It's got all the safety stickers on it under the handle - when were these introduced relative to the model becoming unavailable in Europe?

Just sounds a few warning bells, that's all.

Alec

I would say that is not as old as the the guy makes you think,otherwise he would not be selling it right now,I think these saws are still about for export to Brazil or somewhere like that,but I wonder why 'no collection',& why is it up for sale here in the uk from a seller with such a mixmash of different stuff up for sale.

Just my opinion...

I'm suspicious.

Not saying this is wrong, but I'm skeptical. There have been some chinese copy 070s around.

The bar and chain are Stihl, but they're in very modern packaging - is there an overlap between the end of the 070 and that style packaging being introduced?

The 070 is shown in very fresh looking polystyrene, which generally goes yellow with age, but no cardboard box. Why not?

Is this a non-AV model - how late were these still being built?

It's got all the safety stickers on it under the handle - when were these introduced relative to the model becoming unavailable in Europe?

Just sounds a few warning bells, that's all.

Alec

I thought exactly the same with regards the packaging:sneaky2::confused1:

I would say that is not as old as the the guy makes you think,otherwise he would not be selling it right now,I think these saws are still about for export to Brazil or somewhere like that,but I wonder why 'no collection',& why is it up for sale here in the uk from a seller with such a mixmash of different stuff up for sale.

Just my opinion...

I agree with you Geoff on the 'no pickup' thing.

I've just picked up a relatively late 090 - notably it still had the old Stihl logo on the starter, with the metal tag label on the top. I'd say mine is 1980s - this saw looks much more modern.

The 090 is definitely still about as a special, mostly in Brazil etc, but I'm not sure about the 070 as it has less practical use. The 090 is still the biggest saw made, with enormous torque, so will run a huge bar. The 070 doesn't give you anything useful over an MS880 so very little point in keeping on making it.

Alec

I agree with you Geoff on the 'no pickup' thing.

I've just picked up a relatively late 090 - notably it still had the old Stihl logo on the starter, with the metal tag label on the top. I'd say mine is 1980s - this saw looks much more modern.

The 090 is definitely still about as a special, mostly in Brazil etc, but I'm not sure about the 070 as it has less practical use. The 090 is still the biggest saw made, with enormous torque, so will run a huge bar. The 070 doesn't give you anything useful over an MS880 so very little point in keeping on making it.

Alec

Sounds like you got a lovely saw there mate,& this sale just gets me feeling jittery & a bit..:confused1::confused1::001_smile:

East Germany went through reunification in 1990, the older Stihl products had "Made in West Germany" on them meaning older than 1990!

I saw this bit of kit and came to the conclusion it was an import from South America where I believe these saws are still manufactured - I cant believe it has lain unused since the 1970s - the saw came in 1968, no date on the EOL date.

Conclusion - grey import IMO!