Potential ANCIENT tree removal

Ross Smith

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony

There is every good reason, it is called SAFETY!

In their natural environment, this type of tree is a beautiful asset but in the built up area........

I find it very unlikely, that in a case where injury or harm was caused, the preceding Judge would accept " Tony Croft said it was Ok " as mitigation.

As mentioned in a previous post, realism as opposed to emotion, or, confusion is what will invariably be accepted

No doubt your next outburst will be to pretend trees like these are safe in the urban environment

Well, one only has to look at the picture of the beech

Tree with 2 thirds of its crown decaying on the floor beside it to answer that

Day 1

Removed 1 yes 1x large bow and set up lowering and anchor point for tomorrow plus a wee crown clean to help lowering and rope management for tomorrow

Wasnt a happy start to the day cutting into this majestic tree but safety in mind I know I'm doing the right thing

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353345957.786804.jpg.3f68140fbed4f271c79b4259f0efe6f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353345943.900074.jpg.7161d084720675e5d930a6d3a26b62ea.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353345915.971565.jpg.c5e222723ba07e9e799d24af2225faf1.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353345879.922882.jpg.0f6a83f58e4f242c0fcbc0df81a93ffe.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353345854.411751.jpg.2f4e13cc1cb7fc41f7ce93f41295231c.jpg

Very awkward limb jonny but got their in the end

The job should speed up by the end of play tomorrow but lots of man hours in ringing up last 20ft

Gonna have def earnt my pint of black gold by fri

Upside of job is its located on a very busy road so hope to pick up a few more clients

Every cloud and all that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

There is every good reason, it is called SAFETY!

In their natural environment, this type of tree is a beautiful asset but in the built up area........

I find it very unlikely, that in a case where injury or harm was caused, the preceding Judge would accept " Tony Croft said it was Ok " as mitigation.

As mentioned in a previous post, realism as opposed to emotion, or, confusion is what will invariably be accepted

No doubt your next outburst will be to pretend trees like these are safe in the urban environment

Well, one only has to look at the picture of the beech

Tree with 2 thirds of its crown decaying on the floor beside it to answer that

Now thats and a tad patronizing to say the least but its cool, not really concerned about anyones opinions particularly when it comes to trees that i pass judgment on being safe, nor what is salvageable in some form or another.

Ive retained far worse, and seen far worse stood everytime i drive by for years dumb founding even me. In fact have a look at this old tree. I was working close by and as I often do, I went to check a tree that I know today, to all intents and purposes should have been on the deck. Its been at least two years since I saw her, and in those two years we have had two heavy snowfall winters.

She has a separation shear going right through out of the root ball center, shear ball split in two, a severe lean and a top heavy crown exposed to side loads and snow/rain loading.

A remarkable thing, as a side note This time I confirmed a suspicion and saw the white mycelial sheets and brown decay I associate with P. shweinitzii, and finally found a bit of the fruit body just to be 100%. Another record for the T/R theory collection!

Before I post the images I will finish by saying that technically speaking youve just suggested that I am potentialy an incompetent tree assessor and that sooner or later i will have a suite on my hands because somebody getting hurt is inevitable. I think that the chances of this occurring are in the region of zero or may as well be, I mean if we do NOTHING there is a 1-10,000,000 chance somebody will die from a tree at sometime in the u.k, now if i was to asses and manage the risks in this tree how much will the odds decrease?:001_rolleyes: I dont let emotion run me, I am a realist, I have absolutely no fear of condemning a tree that will fail and cause damage, or suggesting remedial action where it is needed. I will have no one hurt under my trees, and a man is only as good as his last judgment failure, I fear that too, my love and emotional attachment to nature is well balanced. I spent a lot of time seeking out every scenario possible, I have earned a reputation because of this and its documentation, I wouldnt jeopordise that for the sake of one tree, no matter how emotive the tree.

I think youll find I am a very capable arborist, and a very capable tree assessor, if you doubt that then you are in a minority of that you can be assured.

If you would fell this tree against the retention desires of its owners or local community that may well value this tree beyond costs then that is your failure, because you havent the vision or capacity to see past a bit of decay and suggest a means to achieve anything other than total eradication of risk which is UNREACHABLE, reduce the risks to an acceptable level, not to ZERO...

If an ancient or veteran tree is out of place in a town, it is even so, less out of place than your town is in its landscape! think about it, be inclusional.:thumbup:

Is it the tree or YOU thats not fitting the space in this place?:biggrin:

heres that tree, and the last image a Horse I certainly would be quick to fell!

59766256b65d0_shearetc008.jpg.97122d48c21f659271aa432c3c1c2215.jpg

59766256b8014_shearetc009.jpg.caa8752ec39b3e4fadc91ed61e943cbe.jpg

59766256b9709_shearetc020.jpg.bcf3bff1134a83a4283692324e694adb.jpg

59766256bb529_shearetc021.jpg.cc6d617a14f5ddc84e985daca23ba0c6.jpg

59766256bce50_shearetc026.jpg.54faf66f0a653f6891421a38216bb5a7.jpg