Firewood

jimbobab34

The official figure I was given 5 years ago was 1000kg of green beech will convert to 1.5 cu of loose loaded logs. I have never disproved this and when I get 17 tonnes in generally we fill 17 of our 1.5 cu metre bags. If nick delivers 24 tonnes and it is even partly seasoned you will get more volume therefore better value for money and fill more bags. Most cord merchants will sell by weight when wet and by volume when part seasoned. Ie your 17 tonne lorry may be full but may only weigh 14 tonnes the best way to get your cord is to get a weigh ticket. People like verdo and bedmax have there own weigh bridge and only pay what shows on the ticket so its in the merchants interest to get it there same day.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The official figure I was given 5 years ago was 1000kg of green beech will convert to 1.5 cu of loose loaded logs. I have never disproved this and when I get 17 tonnes in generally we fill 17 of our 1.5 cu metre bags. If nick delivers 24 tonnes and it is even partly seasoned you will get more volume therefore better value for money and fill more bags. Most cord merchants will sell by weight when wet and by volume when part seasoned. Ie your 17 tonne lorry may be full but may only weigh 14 tonnes the best way to get your cord is to get a weigh ticket. People like verdo and bedmax have there own weigh bridge and only pay what shows on the ticket so its in the merchants interest to get it there same day.

my point is a full load pure ash is gonna weigh around 23-24 ton..

a load ash/hornbeam will be full 26 ton as will ash/beech etc... same load to look at on trailer.. i buy 90% my cord by load.. and therefore sell by load... lot wood i buy from one estate is cut for 5-6 months and is birch/ash/oak mix and that can weigh as little as 21 ton.

whether its been cut same day or for a year your still gonna get same cu metres from it..