Hamadryad- trees, ecology & FUNGI!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I just tweeted the page link mate, well worth wider eyes having this one in their scopes for thoughts.:thumbup1:

Good on you like your thinking. :thumbup:

Maybe I should of added Cytospora Canker that affects a wide range of hard wood trees including most cultivars of Ash.

Not forgetting certain strains of Fire blight that also shows the same symptoms of Chalara.

It's a minefield out there.

"learn to credit where its due and I might give you the benifit of the doubt!"

tell me where i failed to attribute and i will correct that. no specifics, not actable; pm if want.

Hormonal balancing happens much of the time by itself yes.

10 years is a long time. :001_huh:

"I dont get into those conversations anymore, its so pre 2010! and so a wast of time,the sooner we stop talking % the better."

And what would go in its place? size and location of cut, type of lateral(s) to retain, length of branch to cut...?

I measure % of crown as the % of living buds and hate to go over 50%. But it's all in the tree's response; that's where the right and wrong is determined. If sprouting is not wild and fungus does not advance, then the dose was not excessive. I find % a very useful aspect to consider, if carefully defined.

"learn to credit where its due and I might give you the benifit of the doubt!"

tell me where i failed to attribute and i will correct that. no specifics, not actable; pm if want.

Send me everything youve worked on and i will show you where and who you failed to acknowlege, Not that im that worried and have more pressing concerns right now.

Hormonal balancing happens much of the time by itself yes.

10 years is a long time. :001_huh:

I am a long term kindathinker.

"I dont get into those conversations anymore, its so pre 2010! and so a wast of time,the sooner we stop talking % the better."

And what would go in its place? size and location of cut, type of lateral(s) to retain, length of branch to cut...?

I measure % of crown as the % of living buds and hate to go over 50%. But it's all in the tree's response; that's where the right and wrong is determined. If sprouting is not wild and fungus does not advance, then the dose was not excessive. I find % a very useful aspect to consider, if carefully defined.

we operate on \standard known as BS 3998 in it you will find % has been superseded by a more accurate technical description,removing the confusions where % was fraught with miss-translations. Thats the theory anyway,reality is VERY different!

% IS MECHANICAL.

A tree is a living thing. you have to feel and see your way through pruning,

read what the tree needs, ( use the force ) there's not a mathematical answer to pruning. if there was machines would do the work for us.

I make a decision in my mind whether i can work the spec into a sensible and reasonable compromise to the trees and clients best interests and if i think its not remotely workable I pipe up or if i can and i often can I work with it and its rarely disappointing to anyone involved.

you cant treat two trees the same its just not cricket

Trees are longterm-"thinking" beings too, but sunscald and rot and uncontrolled sprouting can commence to a significant extent within a decade's time. Good idea to check back as you say in 5 or so years.

"Send me everything youve worked on and i will show you where and who you failed to acknowlege, Not that im that worried and have more pressing concerns right now."

Hmm well you were worried enough to raise the question. When you have time to show me the error of my acknowledging ways, you can start with the 12 articles on the website. Bear in mind however: The section at the end always acknowledges works referred to/influenced by, like Ted Green's paper cited June 2012, after his review. Most importantly the saying "There is nothing new under the sun" applies here. :001_rolleyes:

Several times I've been enamored of my own ideas, then find out that some bloke on the other side of the world has known that for years. Other ideas seem like news flashes, until we see that Evelyn was aware of them back in the 1600's. So doesn't any claim of intellectual property rights need to have some perspective? Good idea setting this aside!

I'll look into BS 3998 for the technical details you refer to, thanks. :thumbup:

I am only asking as i am having personal issues with this at the moment, I was hoping for some help by looking at trees before and after pruning and what the climber thinks he has removed in a % point.

absolutely no problem Brett, its not you persay but the downward spiral of death that will ensue when the conversation begins as to how many % this is!

this is a forum remember!

I am getting a little wise to forums and the way in which the games play out!:thumbup:

Trees are longterm-"thinking" beings too, but sunscald and rot and uncontrolled sprouting can commence to a significant extent within a decade's time. Good idea to check back as you say in 5 or so years.

"Send me everything youve worked on and i will show you where and who you failed to acknowlege, Not that im that worried and have more pressing concerns right now."

Hmm well you were worried enough to raise the question. When you have time to show me the error of my acknowledging ways, you can start with the 12 articles on the website. Bear in mind however: The section at the end always acknowledges works referred to/influenced by, like Ted Green's paper cited June 2012, after his review. Most importantly the saying "There is nothing new under the sun" applies here. :001_rolleyes:

Several times I've been enamored of my own ideas, then find out that some bloke on the other side of the world has known that for years. Other ideas seem like news flashes, until we see that Evelyn was aware of them back in the 1600's. So doesn't any claim of intellectual property rights need to have some perspective? Good idea setting this aside!

I'll look into BS 3998 for the technical details you refer to, thanks. :thumbup:

You have the potential to be producing good articles, but they will be ill received among many other authors and thinking arbs if you do not ADMIT and acknowledge your sources and you know as well as I and MANY others what I am talking about and we will leave it well and truly there.:001_rolleyes: and save this conversation for a time and place where we can sit down with a pint of ale and have this out without anyone losing face or having an audience!:lol:

Take that as positive criticism.

and NO I wont have the conversation in e mails nor in writing:sneaky2:

save this conversation for a time and place where we can sit down with a pint of ale
Sounds good to me, though it'll take more than one pint! meanwhile thinking and nonthinking arbs alike who see issues are always welcome to write letters to the author or the editor. :biggrin: published material is a public topic, so public discussion is fine. Beats innuendo any day! :sneaky2:

And I agree that each tree is different, and pruning can't be all mechanical or mathematical. However we need to communicate using numbers, and some trees need similar treatments, so specifications may be similar, like >5' reduced off the sprawling side, or >4' clearance from roof, etc.

" if i think its not remotely workable I pipe up" Yes essential to do this; repeated in ANSI A300 standard over and over. :thumbup: