Hamadryad- trees, ecology & FUNGI!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

So, a little walnut I did today and the conversation surrounding it got me to thinking about you lot in here, and basically whilst I do not agree with everything that goes on around here there is a need for info that is far greater than any of my personal feelings, so I'm starting over. Progress must be made somehow, and I am driven to make it so.:001_smile:

So here we go again, round and round it goes where it stops nobody knows!

Heres a good one from earlier in the week....

The ugly milk cap Lactarius turpis, important because it caused me even some confusion as it is from above VERY like the brown roll rim paxillus involutus which although is a mycorrhizae is also a very cpable saprophyte (deadwood feeding) whereas lactarius turpis is a mycorrhizae in this case associating with Betula pendula and Quercus robur group. first up an image of Paxillus involutus to compare included, the others l turpis the ugly milk cap, which as you can see has a less decurrent gill attachment and exudes a milk like substance from the gills when damaged. i will never look at either of these two and assume they are what they are without a proper look in future!

5976622e9eaa9_Fungitoday281012047.jpg.571cc587dd2f5dea816a2479ee180de8.jpg

723.jpg.6a1f0ceaa1b8829c714e7577d8aed140.jpg

729.jpg.d1c1d37410e4427e9444f0cfd3da1f1f.jpg

756.jpg.591db63f0e7ab460ad615a0e6e7b354b.jpg

759.jpg.8122dc525f5b14e7581e8d606448d26e.jpg

Here we have the walnut, a fine old girl, laying on the deck she is, and phoenix'd long ago. now she is battered by skip lorries and riddled with I. hipsidus, hollowing as expected and in need of some leverage management before a limb falls and causes a panic fell. In the last but one image youll note a psuedosclerotial plate in the central core within the area occupied by Inonotus hispidus. Armillaria can live in the heart/core of a tree for years decades, only switching to parasitic mode as and when stress weakens the host.:001_cool: Note also the black exit of Inonotus hispidus, a fungi of biotrophic nature but smart as Einstein, because even though it can penetrate living tissues, it does so only occasionally to fruit, mostly living as a heart rotting fungi where it can live in long term happy harmony with the host. it does not pay to kill ones food source, give this some serious thought.

5976622eb0e95_charliestree003.jpg.736d6c8387b607fab47ec749b5267eb8.jpg

5976622eb2ffa_charliestree014.jpg.c78af23c7e0e9a9fba520e019872bdb8.jpg

5976622eb4b2a_charliestree038.jpg.b8d489e88cc8c099c5bacb59adfb9dd1.jpg

5976622eb66d3_charliestree032.jpg.d86aea4525d55665d925dd6c90e8b8f1.jpg

5976622eb80f8_charliestree036.jpg.b30b816bfbaf31be1908a9511e82cd5b.jpg

Great new thread Tony!...i look at fungi very differently since our meeting...it,s as if a ndoor was opened in my head that had beed jammed for some time:001_rolleyes:...when i was younger and in a tree Pathology lecture i just used to hear long unpronouncable names and saw tumbleweeds passing in front of my eyes....i just wanted to climb trees and cut as required by the tree officer....but now when i look at them i compare them to familiar objects....e.g the ugly milky cap (Apart from the milky substance it,s exuding) reminds me of a "Zidjan Splash Cymbal" any drummers on here will know what i mean and that is burnt forever into my memory....in a nutshell,thanks for the shift in my thought process regarding this subject....:thumbup: Very interesting post...Armillaria is a sneaky bugger it seems..."Sit and wait?" like you explained to me? waiting for the host to cough or sneeze and then WHAM! and i like foh the innonotus emmerges through the bark in order to fruit...Fascinating,i am truely hooked:001_smile: It,s great that the walnut lives to fight another day! nice to have you back in this revamped "Diary of a......" type thread:001_rolleyes:

Great new thread Tony!...i look at fungi very differently since our meeting...it,s as if a ndoor was opened in my head that had beed jammed for some time:001_rolleyes:...when i was younger and in a tree Pathology lecture i just used to hear long unpronouncable names and saw tumbleweeds passing in front of my eyes....i just wanted to climb trees and cut as required by the tree officer....but now when i look at them i compare them to familiar objects....e.g the ugly milky cap (Apart from the milky substance it,s exuding) reminds me of a "Zidjan Splash Cymbal" any drummers on here will know what i mean and that is burnt forever into my memory....in a nutshell,thanks for the shift in my thought process regarding this subject....:thumbup: Very interesting post...Armillaria is a sneaky bugger it seems..."Sit and wait?" like you explained to me? waiting for the host to cough or sneeze and then WHAM! and i like foh the innonotus emmerges through the bark in order to fruit...Fascinating,i am truely hooked:001_smile: It,s great that the walnut lives to fight another day! nice to have you back in this revamped "Diary of a......" type thread:001_rolleyes:

Thanks Silky, and thats kinda why I do it!:thumbup:

Yes Tony, good article

'If the fungus does not adapt, it will kill its hosts and so die out itself.'

It will just take some time for the balance to be reached where both the trees and fungus live in harmony. The trees will struggle initially until they have learned to cope with the new kid on the block.

Yes Tony, good article

'If the fungus does not adapt, it will kill its hosts and so die out itself.'

It will just take some time for the balance to be reached where both the trees and fungus live in harmony. The trees will struggle initially until they have learned to cope with the new kid on the block.

absolutely, and we need to think in ecological time frames, not in the here and now. they want to burn the potentially resistant ones too, They said the containment is priority and outweighs the risk of losing resistant cohorts!:thumbdown:

Im going nuts......this is insane