Find Funding for my business in arb

Robert-Chainsaw

I started my own partnership with my brother when I left college and we have never looked back start small and just keep investing while your young. I'm 20 and my brother is 26 it just takes a lot of hard work, no time off really for 2 years, but it's worth it.

Don't worry about experience it comes with time, just take you time and in the end your industry safe.

Do you bit for the unemployment and go self employed get a small loan and just manage the monthly payments.

Go into it with all your energy and you cant go wrong. There will be the odd sleepless night.

Use an agricultural accountant and get all the support you can.

Its a young mans game so don't wait until your old to start up. Do it when your young with no commitments then you can grow very quickly with no family to support.

There are no arb jobs out there so make your own! go straight to the top!

Good luck :thumbup:

Richard

Edited by Richard

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there we have it. Two opinions, poles apart. Obviously, if you want it to work it will, which ever way round you do it. So anyone care to share which grants and handouts are available to new starts? I dont know, the world is changing so fast these days, I just can't keep up :biggrin:

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting grants etc, Gareth. I think for the majority of people it is just not the way they've done it, (including myself). The old way was to learn the trade, put the hours in for someone else, similar to an apprenticeship in a way. Then in time move on and set yourself up. Maybe some resent the fact that there is help out there to get you going I don't know. I do know this is now a heavily over subscribed trade, too many chasing to little work, and only the strong will survive. But who is to say who this should be?

I know what you mean. It,s not a route most take, its almost a bad word,but it is still an option for some. My "grant" was £3.50 a week more than the dole would have been, so I guess my incentive to take the grant wasn't massive. It,s a bit like borrowing money to buy machinery. Some people say you should save for it and then buy it when you have the money. Others finance all the way. Personally i think like most things, There is middle ground. You meet all types in business, but most of them are driven or have various levels of drive and will source money where ever is best for them at that time.

Your local development agency is a good starting point. Lantra also has access to grant finding facilities.

Over in Shropshire there is funding available to do nptc courses you just have to pay the assessment fee , there is a criteria but i think it very broad i know of a few people that have completed there 31 32 38 39. So there is funding available you just got to look for it.

If you do start out on your own try and employ somebody that has the experience and work along side them it will make it much easier what ever you do good luck and most importantly have fun be safe:001_smile:

• 1 month later...

I got my 10 week course paid for by the state, just the course mind.

I still had to live and pay for kit from my savings.

I was claiming working tax credit before and that was the key to free adult education in 2008.

As for funding...

Your own car, cheap trailer with homemade greedy boards and a wee chipper is a start. Don't need a 130tipper and Quadchip to get a foothold in the business.

Ty

Hi,

i have an Level 2 in Foresty and Arb and would like to continue my career as an arbroist is there any funding eg Grant(s) that i could help with my courses CS31 CCS32 Cs38 CS39 CS40 CS41 and stuff like that and level 3 i would like to study as well. I'm hoping to run and open my business next year.

Any comments would help

Hello Robert

Firstly good on you for acheiving your quals thus far ..

In business it is wise to assess funding streams & see if any grants or support are out there , however this knowledge is often well guarded as to do other than this may give competitors an edge

theres much to be said for old sayings & I like this one

If I told you all that I know then you would be as clever as me !! ,

,SO Why would I do that ?

that being said God loves a trier so , try !

do your home work = investigate, talk to people who may mentor you , seek knowledge from those who get paid to do this work for you .

explore local business enterprise schemes, look into DE schemes, lottery grants for startup businesses et cetera

this site is great as a source of knowledge , Use SEARCH

Remember if business was easy then everyone would do it & they dont

some of those who do, even some of the good / best ones fail ...

Be prepared for a lot of time effort stress & hardship & then you might, just might win through

all the best for 2013 & your business aspirations

Iain

Edited by Yorkshireman

The princess thrust will probably help as long as you are under 26 years old as i tried them once but i was 30 when i did and they would not help me so if you are 26 or under they might help or try business information point they know if you can get help and from whom you can get it.

Remember the best way to learn is hands on experience.