Husqvarna 338XPT - any good?

raafbeard

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies - going to be a ms 200 then..kind of thought it would be

Just wanted to ask peoples opinions as I like husqy ground saws and would def. go for a 338 if it was anywhere near as good as stihl

First saw purchase and really don't want to regret buying a Husqy :beer:

338 well better than the 335 but they are not there yet. Revs like hell with the etra cc punch but dose not seem to diliver the grunt a 200t will. the spark cover is still vunrable and the chain break has problems as do the start recoil.

Get a 200t even if you have a real husq fetish.

Hey rich, how about a power porting thread on 200's? The one at AS was superb.

Don't know what could be offered. Not many seem to run a modded 200. I know that EHP (Ed Heard) modded several 200's. He told me the main problem was too much heat. Apparently they mod fairly well.

I like modded saws..............don't know if a modded 200 would be necessary, a muffler modded 200 is a tough saw to top!!!

338 well better than the 335 but they are not there yet. Revs like hell with the etra cc punch but dose not seem to diliver the grunt a 200t will. the spark cover is still vunrable and the chain break has problems as do the start recoil.

I fugured out how to make the recoil always recoil...ream out the plastic hole in the cover so the spindle has a tad more room to spin. Also, if you keep the chain brake clean (take cover off and clean the exposed parts well) the brake seems to work for quite some time.....a year or three. Old plug cover is a pain, must be taped on...minor problem.

The only 338 I had was the first of them, and I had it woods ported. Still underwhelming. Won't cut with my muffler modded 335 Cali, or even close to the old 335 that boogie with stu sent me, in pieces. That saw lasted a good three years, and would easily beat a stock 200T....it now has piston slap, and may just need a new piston and rings. Great saw! Lighter than the 200T, more reach.......no problem whatsover, always started and idled reliably, as do the 335 Calis, but I don't much like them.

Rather than try the new slightly improved 338, I'll wait for the new Husky climb saw that is rumored for 2008.......

My woods ported 192T is a sweet little unit...and of course my only 200T is relaible as all get out.

I'm thinking of a Dolmar 3410TH for my next climb saw. lighter, cheaper than a 200T, and muffler modded, should be a good saw. Word is, it is pretty good, though not a high revving powerhouse.