Setting up

WoodMouse

I've probably worked on every conceivable kind of tree work, in every possible scenario, and I don't believe that there is a "perfect" set-up that covers all tasks. it usually boils down to two or three blokes busting their balls to get a tree out of a garden in as few steps as possible. Usually through a piddly tiny side gate with all the usual detritus in the way, and exhaust flues from heating right at the most awkward point. We have speed lined across lawns to reduce drags and protect property, but it still has to go through a stupidly small gap at some point. We've had one of the best thought out unimogs equipped with all the gear to make the job quicker and more profitable, and had to park it out the front miles from the work. We've used Avants to clear jobs, spent more time boarding to protect lawns than it would have take to handball the stuff out. There is no easy way to do this job, it is sheer hard grunt all the way. Even on the easy jobs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologise if I got the wrong end of the stick! That was my not so harsh reply.:001_rolleyes:

I applaud your enthusiasm and to perfect any job is the key.:thumbup1:

No worries Stephen. I understand this is a delicate situation, if anything you have given me the opportunity to make the distinction. Perhaps i should have been clearer about this. No harm done. :thumbup1:

If you dont like donkey work your in the wrong industry, not every situation lends itself to machinery as there will be times where its too wet, too steep or simply the machine wont fit. To think you can use this set up day in day out and not have to feed a chipper or load chogs of timber into the back of a truck by hand is nuts.

I've probably worked on every conceivable kind of tree work, in every possible scenario, and I don't believe that there is a "perfect" set-up that covers all tasks. it usually boils down to two or three blokes busting their balls to get a tree out of a garden in as few steps as possible. Usually through a piddly tiny side gate with all the usual detritus in the way, and exhaust flues from heating right at the most awkward point. We have speed lined across lawns to reduce drags and protect property, but it still has to go through a stupidly small gap at some point. We've had one of the best thought out unimogs equipped with all the gear to make the job quicker and more profitable, and had to park it out the front miles from the work. We've used Avants to clear jobs, spent more time boarding to protect lawns than it would have take to handball the stuff out. There is no easy way to do this job, it is sheer hard grunt all the way. Even on the easy jobs.

for sure, it's something i immediately identified as a bottleneck. This has definitely given me food for thought, and i now see that if i had an avant it would probably spend most of it's time on the truck or in the yard.

So after reading this...

turf maintenance- turf damage

One of these is giving me considerable horn...

MT52 Mini Track Loader - Bobcat Company

35 inches wide, can lift 1/4 ton and only exerts 1-2 psi on the ground, and wont tear turf through zero turn.

Edited by WoodMouse

If you dont like donkey work your in the wrong industry, not every situation lends itself to machinery as there will be times where its too wet, too steep or simply the machine wont fit. To think you can use this set up day in day out and not have to feed a chipper or load chogs of timber into the back of a truck by hand is nuts.

Not quite, but i do think it would be much easier. Obviously id like to be lead climber in my setup, and not a groundy. But if i had a tool like this, perhaps i'd hire the climber and do the ground work as i could trust myself to operate the skid conscientiously.

I've been a Deck Hand for the past two years, i'm no stranger to hard graft. I'd just like to work smarter than harder. :001_cool:

Won't tear the turf in strait line! Then add the weight you are carrying, it then needs to be the width of the access. You will need to carry extra fuel, oils and tools and have knowledge to fix it, also hope it doesn't blow a hose on monoblock or grass, then you have to clean it up, rescue the loader, and explain to the customer. Also if the paving you are driving over hasn't been done right or old, then there will be gaps below said paving, and then crack, break oops!

Also separate vehicle and trailer to transport it, or do collecting of lifting stuff on separate days with same vehicle. And have lots of half finished jobs all over the place so double fuel bill and slow cash flow.

trust me, i have driven most things with wheels or tracks and they have their limitations to where they will fit, wont sink etc. spending hours putting down sheets of timber to run on then taking them up at the end of the day is all time that could be spent getting the tree on the deck. Plus you have to transport the loader around so unless you have a lorry your soon gonna run out of space or payload for climbing kit, saws, chipper, woodchip and the loader.

Look at that fella on here doing the work on the marsh lands and how much they have done with hard graft.

Won't tear the turf in strait line! Then add the weight you are carrying, it then needs to be the width of the access. You will need to carry extra fuel, oils and tools and have knowledge to fix it, also hope it doesn't blow a hose on monoblock or grass, then you have to clean it up, rescue the loader, and explain to the customer. Also if the paving you are driving over hasn't been done right or old, then there will be gaps below said paving, and then crack, break oops!

Also separate vehicle and trailer to transport it, or do collecting of lifting stuff on separate days with same vehicle. And have lots of half finished jobs all over the place so double fuel bill and slow cash flow.

Yea, hydraulic fluid on a lawn which I've managed to secure work on because i wont damage it. I can see some very irate people there. Paving too, but the tracks are long, much larger surface area than wheels or feet.

Bobcat as you know are a huge firm in the US, they've just opened an office in the south in Dartford and i hear their customer service is second to none. I'd like to know the support they would offer in these instances with a new machine. I'm going to meet their sales rep soon.

I'm thinking of a 7.5 ton truck size, or just under. A truck with a Hiab capable of lifting this onto the back. Have a separate non tipping section.

Tipmaster - Caged Tippers, Aluminium Tippers, Aluminium Cages, Tail Lifts, Side Lifts

something like this, either with a ramp or Hiab.

trust me, i have driven most things with wheels or tracks and they have their limitations to where they will fit, wont sink etc. spending hours putting down sheets of timber to run on then taking them up at the end of the day is all time that could be spent getting the tree on the deck. Plus you have to transport the loader around so unless you have a lorry your soon gonna run out of space or payload for climbing kit, saws, chipper, woodchip and the loader.

Look at that fella on here doing the work on the marsh lands and how much they have done with hard graft.

Marsh land, sounds like swimming in custard. Hope he had some good winches. I'll heck it out.

What do you think of the MT52? i thought it would fit quite neatly on an adequate truck.