Lewis Winch Demo

openboater

how do you use the chain brake with the side cover removed ? the trouble with using the saw brake is all the stress is on the saw and the parts leading to the saw , the winch brake is holding the drum with the wire on it end of .

I'ts no problem on a 372xp. The chain braks is not on the side cover. It's a 12 year old saw, and had been replaced by a new one, so I don't worry too much. Iv'e been using it like this for a couple of years with no problems.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the Dyneema / Plasma rope advantages, I've used it a lot on a variety of 12v vehicle-mounted winches. What diameter of synthetic rope have you been using ?

As for using the chain brake, I agree again.

But... the friction band type of handbrake on the winch allows you to let tension out of the system gradually. Whether this is important or not will depend on how you are using the winch.

I'm not suggesting the winch should be used as a hoist, but if you were dragging a heavy load up a steep slope the winch brake could be used to lower it back a little to a safe location or to unjam it if the load gets stuck.

Releasing the chain brake would allow the load to descend out of control.

Your quite right about the problems of using just the chain brake, but I don't find it a problem, using it for the things I use it for. However, if your not used to it, it may be unadvisable to remove the brake. As you say, you have no control, other than applying chain brake again. I just foundthe lewis winch brake got in the way too much. I think the dyneema is only about 9/10mm, but it's way stronger than the wire rope.

The 'thick' cable of the two that are supplied with the winch is about 5mm diameter ( it's an imperial dimension, being American ). Bearing in mind that synthetic winch ropes are stronger for the same diameter of steel cable I recon a 6mm dyneema rope would be significantly stronger, cost effective, and you may not sacrifice too much in length.

What type of pulley, if any, do you use for redirecting the pull or multiplying it ?

The 'thick' cable of the two that are supplied with the winch is about 5mm diameter ( it's an imperial dimension, being American ). Bearing in mind that synthetic winch ropes are stronger for the same diameter of steel cable I recon a 6mm dyneema rope would be significantly stronger, cost effective, and you may not sacrifice too much in length.

What type of pulley, if any, do you use for redirecting the pull or multiplying it ?

I have the lewis winch pulley, but only find a use for it rarely. You could probably get away with 6mm. I sacrificed a little rope length for a bit more strength.

Was good to get the first demo done leading on from the launch on our stand at the APF, I definitely agree with Angus about the operator left hand nearest to the exhaust at full throttle it did get hot..... I've mentioned this to the manufacturer for the uses with the Husky, the Stihl 441 I demo'd it with before wasn't half as bad.

As for power, its recommended on a 50-90 cc chainsaw with a pull of 1.8 ton in straight line mode. Having seen Big Bolt's pictures the way he has secured the winch in a stump with the hook attached is definitely the way to go, it looks steady and secure. Since taking on the Lewis Winch I'd have to say to save time it's well worth having the saw continuously attached... I had to let Angus fiddle with the bolts as I had lost patience with it! All in all so far the feedback has been good though, keep me posted guys what you think.

Is it possible to order one without the wire and if so is there much saving?

Hey Chris, yep I'll be able to supply the winch seperate say for example if you want to use the Dyneema with it instead, as for price I have 10 days to wait for the finalised landed costs then I'll be able to get the best price to you, that ok? :001_smile:

Who do you deal with for most of your stuff atm?