Stihl ms241 Mtronic problem

Chrisy B

Recently bought a second hand MS241 from a chap who had done a chainsaw course to start a business but then decided it wasn't for him.

Saw is now out of warranty but has only probably done around 5 hours work and seems to be playing up with Mtronic carb. I've checked most things flywheel to coil gap, calibrated computer by running on choke for 60 seconds then switching off, pulled wires apart checking connections ok carb stripped (clean as a new pin). But I still seem to be getting problems.

Problem is, it will start and tick over fine but when go into a cut sometimes not everytime it falters runs very rough and won't rev usually smells quite petroly as though its choking itself. Have to eventually let off throttle and go again and usually works fine, just flustrating from a new saw.

Just wondered if anyone else had one and experiencing same issues? Also is it worth while contacting stihl although out of warranty with it being a new model saw is it worth trying them if only as feedback that its not very good?

To be honest I must admit when its working it seems to have plenty of power, only running on a 14'' bar but cuts well.

I just cant understand what happens to it. Too much technology for my liking I'll keep using it for a while see what happens maybe once run in it will work better have to see (fingers crossed).

• 1 year later...

I bought my MS241 in August and it was running like a dream till last Week. I had all the problems you described, unresponsive throttle, frequent cutting out and running a bit rich like it wasn't getting enought air. I did as you did, i ran it on high idle for 70 seconds from a cold start and then shut it off and restarted and gave it full revs for 15 seconds all to no avail. I had a quick look through the manual and there is a page on the winter/summer shutter on the engine. When i bought the saw i went through the manual and i made a mental note about the shutter. It has to be changed from summer to winter mode when the temperature drops below 10 degrees celcius. That ties in with the drop in performance over the last ten Days because it's gotten very cold with the day time temp never rising above 8 degrees. The shutter slides out with the aid of a flat bladed screwdriver and is reversed and slid back in until you hear a click. The apature in the shutter is wider in winter mode so more air can get in, just have to remember to change it back when it gets warmer next Year. I tried out the saw with the shutter in winter mode and all the problem had gone. Fingers crossed that i don't have anymore snags with it. I hope this can be a help to other Stihl MS241C-M M-tronic saw owners.