Granberg precision grinder

Robert Raven

I think you'll like it - in fact they are starting to move so quickly we're out at the moment but some more should be here beginning next week.

It's the sort of thing that looks a fiddle to start with - but as long as you set up and you're not in a rush it's very easy to get good results.

The best thing is it gets the teeth the same length and now with the larger stones you can also get accurate depth gauges - quickly. The major benefit of this is you can use chains all the way down to the witness mark and they still cut perfectly. In fact the chain is much lighter, chip clearance better so they actually cut faster at the end although you need to increase the depth gauge setting to keep the angle the wood is fed into the top plate the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEdu4u6dnGA&list=UU9K0KfLNH84tuWi2VjlSlCg&index=1]Granberg precision grinder and accurate depth guage raker setting for chainsaw chain - YouTube[/ame]

:001_smile:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has just arrived ( thank you rob:thumbup:)

Had a quick go on my 346 chain tonight and I recon it cuts better than a new chain! No saw dust whatsoever ever all chips, :thumbup: really pleased as I didn't think I was that bad at sharpening!

If your in any doubts get one

Thanks again rob:thumbup:

thanks rob just got one now hope its as good as it looks in the video shaw it will be.

It is - but bear in mind it takes a few goes to get the hang of it and not a great tool if you're new to it and in a rush.

Get the chain running freely but not so it's hanging slack, look carefully at the first couple of teeth you sharpen. Adjust if necessary and then you can start sharpening away.

:biggrin:

I remember seeing you use this, looks great.

Couple of questions :)

How long will a stone last? Is 1 stone per chain a good guess or more?

Do you have to be careful not to overheat/blue the chain?

Thanks,

Charlie.

I don't think that long - I'd say half a chain... you could use it for a full chain but like a file loses it's effectiveness and gets hollowed out...

Keep the old stones though as they are great for getting a load of damage off a chain that has hit something and also I've started using the older stones for dressing as well.

One of the advantages is that it that it does not blue the tooth... you'd have to put a lot of pressure on it to do that.

I don't think that long - I'd say half a chain... you could use it for a full chain but like a file loses it's effectiveness and gets hollowed out...

Keep the old stones though as they are great for getting a load of damage off a chain that has hit something and also I've started using the older stones for dressing as well.

One of the advantages is that it that it does not blue the tooth... you'd have to put a lot of pressure on it to do that.

:001_smile: great just checking you didn't use a stone per sharpen or something lol

It's main use will be sorting out badly damaged chain! Got quite a collection I've built up and don't fancy doing by hand lol.

Ill order one when I get a minute :)

Thanks

Charlie.