Delivering firewood in Dumpy bags safely

Goaty

Thats a good Vosa link, thanks for that, there is other interesting info on small trailers as well.

Do you not find that your ropes come loose?. Your idea of tying the 4 loops together is something I will try next week. My bags are on pallets and pushed up with a teleporter, then I have a tall loading ramp at the rear and a ladder rack at the front, tops of the bags are about level with the tops of the ladder rack and ramp. Bags are very tight front to back, and have sides on the trailer about 15 inches high. I have yet to find a binding that stays tight, maybe tying the loops may help.

Given the chance logs will move, I had 10 bags on a farm trailer recently, 2 rows of 5, on pallets, overhanging the sides by about 15cm each side, went over some slightly uneven ground , next thing I know one bag has decided to plunge off the side of the trailer, 500 logs on the ground. In a field its inconvenient, on a road it might be deadly.

So we would need trailers with solid metal sides, most have them, surely a curtain above would be good enough to stop flying logs in the event of an accident. Some blokes round here just plonk 4 builders bags onto the back of a flatbed LWB Trannie van with a small crane on it and off they go, no ropes, no sheets, no sides, no nothing. The only other way is a box van but they are hard to load more than one bag into.

A

I tried Gensetsteves 4 loop idea the other day, it worked on a short run. Round here artics are delivering 22-24 half tonne bags of aggregate products to builders merchants on plain flatbeds with one strap at the back. Thats into towns and Hull our nearby city.

I tried Gensetsteves 4 loop idea the other day, it worked on a short run. Round here artics are delivering 22-24 half tonne bags of aggregate products to builders merchants on plain flatbeds with one strap at the back. Thats into towns and Hull our nearby city.

Thats why I wont be bothering tieing down bags in a trailer with sides on for some time yet!

While the likes of coalmen, quarry owners, builders merchants etc etc dont bother, I wont be worrying.

Although we live in one of the higher catchment areas for being pulled by VOSA, when the "official transport" guys start adhering, so will I.

While the likes of coalmen, quarry owners, builders merchants etc etc dont bother, I wont be worrying.

I got pulled over for slightly trespassing a double white line in an overtaking manouvre, when the police officer asked what I'd been doing that day I said truck driving. That was it. "You should know better as a professional driver"

He got his penalty notice pad out and was about to write it out when a transit driver went passed using a mobile phone, the bobby ejected me rudely and chased after the bigger prize.

So since then I try my best, whatever Im driving. For some reason all truck drivers are a persecuted minority group, with alot of people.