In need to take me on as an apprentice

Kasia

I am looking for an employer around the Southampton area to take me on as an apprentice. I have no experience, however I am so keen to learn. I would like to gain all the cs certificates, as my end goal is to become a competent arborist. Able to start as soon as possible. Equipment can be obtained as and when necessary.

Cheers :biggrin:

With the best will in the world, you're going to struggle with this one. You're up against large numbers of people who already have some experience, kit and qualifications pitching for the same position.

If you seriously want to do this, get your CS 30 & 31 tickets, PPE & a saw [obviously a Stihl.....] and then approach local firms and offer yourself around as a volunteer groundie.

At least then you'll get a better idea of whether it's for you, you'll be able to offer some experience in the future when asking for a paid position and you can build some relationships in the industry.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hopefully it helps!

No thank you, I am glad to hear of some good quality advice, at least I know where to start no.

Much appreciated !

Good luck with it. There's always opportunities for hard workers who have something about them. Willingness to take on board advice always gets positive feedback from potential employers.

Best course of action now would be to get a couple of basic tickets under your belt, pick up a saw with a 14" to 16" bar, trousers, boots, helmet, gloves & a first aid kit for your belt and start making yourself available.

The qualification structure seems to have changed since I did mine, start here...

NPTC

Once you get yourself set up to be able to turn up on site and dismantle felled limbs safely then you'll be useful to have around and will be able to start building up experience.

The 'problem' with this industry is that experience is king, it's a bit 'chicken and egg'....!

With the best will in the world, you're going to struggle with this one. You're up against large numbers of people who already have some experience, kit and qualifications pitching for the same position.

If you seriously want to do this, get your CS 30 & 31 tickets, PPE & a saw [obviously a Stihl.....] and then approach local firms and offer yourself around as a volunteer groundie.

At least then you'll get a better idea of whether it's for you, you'll be able to offer some experience in the future when asking for a paid position and you can build some relationships in the industry.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hopefully it helps!

No truer words spoken.

I started out 7 years ago, got offered a week dragging brash to the chipper, an easy 70-80 yard drag, had nothing, no ppe, no saw. Got given an old helmet and some old and I mean old trousers, Got given a bow saw and was told that once I learnt not to get the bow saw stuck and how the branches reacted to being cut I would learn how to cut with a saw. I was on 50 a day. So I slogged my guts out for five days straight, I was the first to arrive and the last to leave. Now I'm on farely good money, got my own tools and loving every second I'm working.

I was stupid when I started thinking how hard could it be??? How wrong I could get.

Get some work with a local firm, even just running around with a rake or broom, be the gofer. Then see how badly you want it. It's a good time in the year as winter is coming up and it gets really hard fighting cold all day.

Good luck with whatever you choose though fella. :thumbup1:

Depending on the age of the apprentice it is a very economical way of employing a trainee.

The apprenticeship programme is very much more than just a 'Ticket' factory, it is a 3 way team effort which on completion will give the candidate the training for the cs units and a level 2 diploma in trees and timber. There has to be a buy in from the employer which will take a level of commitment but it is worth it.

Good luck with it. There's always opportunities for hard workers who have something about them. Willingness to take on board advice always gets positive feedback from potential employers.

Best course of action now would be to get a couple of basic tickets under your belt, pick up a saw with a 14" to 16" bar, trousers, boots, helmet, gloves & a first aid kit for your belt and start making yourself available.

The qualification structure seems to have changed since I did mine, start here...

NPTC

Once you get yourself set up to be able to turn up on site and dismantle felled limbs safely then you'll be useful to have around and will be able to start building up experience.

The 'problem' with this industry is that experience is king, it's a bit 'chicken and egg'....!

I have checked out the C&G local test centre to me and shall get on my way to getting my first two tickets so at least when I approach employers I can do something for them rather than standing around like a spare part. I am doing this. This forum has been really useful getting real advice from people in the trade. I shall keep updating progress :001_smile:

No truer words spoken.

I started out 7 years ago, got offered a week dragging brash to the chipper, an easy 70-80 yard drag, had nothing, no ppe, no saw. Got given an old helmet and some old and I mean old trousers, Got given a bow saw and was told that once I learnt not to get the bow saw stuck and how the branches reacted to being cut I would learn how to cut with a saw. I was on 50 a day. So I slogged my guts out for five days straight, I was the first to arrive and the last to leave. Now I'm on farely good money, got my own tools and loving every second I'm working.

I was stupid when I started thinking how hard could it be??? How wrong I could get.

Get some work with a local firm, even just running around with a rake or broom, be the gofer. Then see how badly you want it. It's a good time in the year as winter is coming up and it gets really hard fighting cold all day.

Good luck with whatever you choose though fella. :thumbup1:

I want this bad enough to endure the cold and work like a donkey until I get somewhere within this industry. Sounds like your experience was well worth it in the long run, and I guess shows employers your dedication to doing the job. :001_smile: cheers for the advice, much appreciated

If you are coming in Green then your first 2 courses should be Emergency First Aid 1 day course about 70 quid and NPTC Chipper which is 200 ish with assessment. You will get groundwork with these tickets and they are 1 day each, quick, easy and fairly cheap.

See if you like the job then go on to Chainsaw cs30/31 . I say this because the chainsaw course is around 700 with assessment which is alot if you find out you hate the job .