Oak picnic bench straight from the log

Rob D

I've found that one of the easiest things to make and sell are rustic picnic benches.... the reason I think is everyone usually has space for them, they can be competitive with manufactured furniture and you have a built in table and seats.

If you make a table with separate benches it takes longer and is not so practical as the benches are too heavy to move in and out.

The mini mill with a 15" bar and cross cut chain flies through the wood and can be used to rip down planks. It makes it a pleasure to use... or more pleasurable anyways!

The vid isn't that good but basically:

• Get the top flat
  • Mill a 3" board and place to one side
  • Using the mini mill cut across the log at bottom, 27"-28" up, another 27" to 28" up and then 6' from there
  • Mill a 3" plank and you bow have 2x 28" pieces (legs) and top (6')
  • The legs are squared and at 3" sit nicely on the 6' piece
  • Cut the first board you made down the center for seats and use the end of braces
  • Put together and leave for 2 to 3 months
  • Now the wood has surface dried spend an hour planing and sanding just to smarten it up

I sold x4 of these at a show for between £360-00 and £440-00 and you can make massive versions.... an upright support needs to go under the seat though or x2 big 'uns on one side will have it over!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FM7Y8gVOaw&feature=channel&list=UL]Log to bench - YouTube[/ame]

And I made this one at home from planks off the same tree. Plan is to make a boatload of these now ready for a sand and tidy at the beginning of the next garden season.

597661bed6986_Sawhorse005.jpg.000273a542471a7dd454052be5a14664.jpg

597661bed48e9_Sawhorse004.jpg.69c82ceec459b5df7b8644c0ab47f957.jpg

very smart! Wouldn't the bark fall off fairly quickly?

Yep in hot weather the bark would fall off pretty fast - this is a benefit really as you need to be able to get in and sand it.... I leave until the bark falls off and the table's outside is dry and spend and hour sanding and planing.... It looks more 'finished' then and is ready to sell.

• 2 weeks later...