15w/40 and all that mumbo jumbo

likeitorlumpit

15W40 does not denote quality, rather viscocity. The viscocity of that oil however will shear and change according to the quality, duty cycle etc.

You can not use a CI oil in an SI engine without causing plug fouling.

What are the various machines? List them and I will endevour to assist...

:thumbup1:

Yes- I appreciate the viscocity thing

First number is the number of minutes to go through a filter hot

the second is how long cold.

Well thats as I understand it

My issue was with having so many options for different viscocities with different machines.

We have 2 Stiga mowers petrol 25hp vangard engines

Micro JCB

Timberwolf chipper 150mm Kubota diesel engine.

Various small petrol mowers from Honda/hayter/stihl all less than 6hp

Small generator

Various other small stuff but the main ones are above.

It would be great to just use one oil for all.(tonguetwister)

I guess its hard to specify an oil for temps from -10 to +35 (cold start) and a mid range would seem to cover all bases.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15W40 does not denote quality, rather viscocity. The viscocity of that oil however will shear and change according to the quality, duty cycle etc.

You can not use a CI oil in an SI engine without causing plug fouling.

What are the various machines? List them and I will endevour to assist...

:thumbup1:

My issue was with having so many options for different viscocities with different machines.

Micro JCB

Small generator

I guess its hard to specify an oil for temps from -10 to +35 (cold start) and a mid range would seem to cover all bases.

Micro JCB

Small generator

Time thru filter is not how viscocity or VI are measured; sounds confused with cold filter plugging but that's another story. 15W is cold cranking viscocity or to be more accurate 40C and 40 running temp visc. at 100C. Yes the numbers are backwards; the oil is thinnner when hot i.e 90 cSt (centistokes) cold - 15 cSt hot.

From the machines you mention, it sounds like you need two oils, namely a 10W30 for the SI stuff, mowers etc and a 15W40 diesel specific oil would be fine for the diesel applications, truck - chipper etc.

Dont worry about the oil temps, just get the best; not cheap but you can double the OCI happily. Here's what you need:

RED LINE High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil 10w-30

and

RED LINE High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil 15w-40 Diesel

These are the best money can buy, simples. AMS, Motul et al - close but no cigar.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Micro JCB

Small generator

Time thru filter is not how viscocity or VI are measured; sounds confused with cold filter plugging but that's another story. 15W is cold cranking viscocity or to be more accurate 40C and 40 running temp visc. at 100C. Yes the numbers are backwards; the oil is thinnner when hot i.e 90 cSt (centistokes) cold - 15 cSt hot.

From the machines you mention, it sounds like you need two oils, namely a 10W30 for the SI stuff, mowers etc and a 15W40 diesel specific oil would be fine for the diesel applications, truck - chipper etc.

Dont worry about the oil temps, just get the best; not cheap but you can double the OCI happily. Here's what you need:

and

These are the best money can buy, simples. AMS, Motul et al - close but no cigar.

Micro JCB

Small generator

and

Many thanks - It sounds like you know your stuff. I shouldn't mix engineering scant knowledge with horticulture.

We had been using a Classic car oil for the small machines and 15w/40 for bigger stuff so I guess the best thing is to continue. The brands you mention sound impressive but about 4 times the price. Still= I always maintained that quality was important so I'll just bite the bullet.

What is your background?- thats not just laymans knowledge is it!

Many thanks - It sounds like you know your stuff. I shouldn't mix engineering scant knowledge with horticulture.

We had been using a Classic car oil for the small machines and 15w/40 for bigger stuff so I guess the best thing is to continue. The brands you mention sound impressive but about 4 times the price. Still= I always maintained that quality was important so I'll just bite the bullet.

Piston Engine (aka recips) and Gas Turbine Commissioning Engineer in the Power Gen business for 13 years; PhD in Diesel Exhaust Emissions; lubrication a significant part of that. Also raced cars in the past.

FYI, a PSA XUD9A (peugeot diesel 1.9) IDI engine has been running non-stop (!) since 1998 in my old research lab at Plymouth Uni on RL 15W40 with UOA (used oil analysis) taken at determined intervals. Non stop because oil consumption has been negligible, and 1500 - 3000 rpm with auto-dyno load changes have meant fairly constant conditions. It's equivilent to millions of miles!!!

Piston Engine (aka recips) and Gas Turbine Commissioning Engineer in the Power Gen business for 13 years; PhD in Diesel Exhaust Emissions; lubrication a significant part of that. Also raced cars in the past.

FYI, a PSA XUD9A (peugeot diesel 1.9) IDI engine has been running non-stop (!) since 1998 in my old research lab at Plymouth Uni on RL 15W40 with UOA (used oil analysis) taken at determined intervals. Non stop because oil consumption has been negligible, and 1500 - 3000 rpm with auto-dyno load changes have meant fairly constant conditions. It's equivilent to millions of miles!!!