Timberwolf 150 or greenmech quadchip 160?

SAM66S

Its a hard decision to spend that much of my hard earned it 1 go. Ive got quotes off 2 timberwolf dealers, the 1st never got back to me after keeping me waiting for half hour while finishing a personal conversation. The second quoted me over the phone & failed to email the figures over no offer of a demo from either but i could hire 1 off them if i wanted!! We will just have to see how the greenmech dealer compares although the offer of a demo from the off is a good start!

have you considered the jensen a530di, fantastic machine.. sorry to throw a spanner in the works... i hate our timberwolfs after using a jensen for 2 years.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly my point on greasing bearings, both machines have way undersize flywheel bearings, the TW being the smallest of the two, If correctly greased which means very infrequentily and a top quality high speed bearing grease (about £20 a tube) you should get 500hrs+ life on these machines bearings, Problems come sooner with owners being too cautious and over greasing, Even GM say every 50hrs to grease the flywheel bearings on the Quadchip even that is way to often, If you got two brand new machines grease one as the owners normally and not the other you'd probley find the one greased would need changing sooner, Both bearings dont need the same amount of grease either, depending on the load. Chipper fly wheel bearings are such high speed high load bearings the advice given is not sufficient, a few small changes can make the world of difference on longevity.

As regards the Greenmech Quadchip ive had no end of problems with mine some serious, but you cant fault the aftersales back up they give its probley the best in the industry. Big thumbs up there. And the quad chip is a big step forward in the 750kg class chipper.

Firstly my point on greasing bearings, both machines have way undersize flywheel bearings, the TW being the smallest of the two, If correctly greased which means very infrequentily and a top quality high speed bearing grease (about £20 a tube) you should get 500hrs+ life on these machines bearings, Problems come sooner with owners being too cautious and over greasing, Even GM say every 50hrs to grease the flywheel bearings on the Quadchip even that is way to often, If you got two brand new machines grease one as the owners normally and not the other you'd probley find the one greased would need changing sooner, Both bearings dont need the same amount of grease either, depending on the load. Chipper fly wheel bearings are such high speed high load bearings the advice given is not sufficient, a few small changes can make the world of difference on longevity.

As regards the Greenmech Quadchip ive had no end of problems with mine some serious, but you cant fault the aftersales back up they give its probley the best in the industry. Big thumbs up there. And the quad chip is a big step forward in the 750kg class chipper.

Decision made, was really impressed with the quad chip on the demo i had thursday so i bought it! Had considered the jensen but my greenmech dealer is only 20 minutes up the road so that really sealed the deal. The GM dealers couldnt of been more helpful! What issues have you had with yours?

Decision made, was really impressed with the quad chip on the demo i had thursday so i bought it! Had considered the jensen but my greenmech dealer is only 20 minutes up the road so that really sealed the deal. The GM dealers couldnt of been more helpful! What issues have you had with yours?

The lower roller motor developed a leak, the plastic fuel tank developed huge bulging in the sides resulting in it pressing on the belt pulley, the flywheel bearing on the drive side went after 200hrs, stowage clamp for the chute cracked and fell off, the suction pipe fell off in the hydraulic tank fell off resulting in the pump running dry costing us £200 for a new one. its had numerous problems with the roller spring I think they have sorted that tho. I delt with Greenmech direct and they were first class most of the parts with exception of the Pump and Bearing the gave us F.O.C, Luckily Im able to fit them all myself, did not help with machine downtime tho. I think the Quadchip is a good machine and would recomend it, you get what you pay for like most things, If you want a machine that ticks all boxes you need German and costing 3-4k more.

The lower roller motor developed a leak, the plastic fuel tank developed huge bulging in the sides resulting in it pressing on the belt pulley, the flywheel bearing on the drive side went after 200hrs, stowage clamp for the chute cracked and fell off, the suction pipe fell off in the hydraulic tank fell off resulting in the pump running dry costing us £200 for a new one. its had numerous problems with the roller spring I think they have sorted that tho. I delt with Greenmech direct and they were first class most of the parts with exception of the Pump and Bearing the gave us F.O.C, Luckily Im able to fit them all myself, did not help with machine downtime tho. I think the Quadchip is a good machine and would recomend it, you get what you pay for like most things, If you want a machine that ticks all boxes you need German and costing 3-4k more.

1200 odd hours on my TW 150 a few plasticky bits broken, in real terms 1 exhaust gone.

Everything else is all could be classed as normal usage, flywheel bearings etc, there is a lot of TW bashing but they make a lot of people a lot of money with very little down time.

I think TW are probley the best out there for a small owner opperator outfit, maybe not so good for a contractor with a fleet. pound for pound cant really beat em. Not for us tho.