450e, 455 Rancher or 353?

Hoggin

I need to replace my recently nicked Husqvarna 51. I've effectively narrowed it down to three saws. The 450e, the 455 Rancher or the 353. Although the 450e is the cheapest option, I'm leaning towards the other two. The Rancher because of it's higher power and apparent similarity to my old 51 but the 353 is tempting because it is a "pro" spec saw. Not that I am a pro.

The saw will be used for reducing trees (oak and ash) already felled by the landowner into firewood for my own use.

Why Husky? I really liked the way my 51 handled once I'd taken advice off here and fitted a 15" bar and there are two dealers fairly close to where the saw will predominantly used (darkest mid Wales.)

I'd welcome any advice on which would be better for my needs.

I've not used the other two, but have had a 2004 model (from memory) from new and it was my main small felling saw for 4 or 5 years, then it got a 2/3 year rest before getting brought back out of retirement until earlier this year when it got replaced by a 550.

I still have it and it got brought out for one of the other guys to use a few weeks ago and still does what it needs to when required.

Shares loads of bits with the 346 and handles the same just makes a bit less top end but has a good mid&bottom end. Only thing it used to do was go through clutch springs reasonably quickly and I know of at least two other people who found the same.

Rane mine mainly with a 13" but it handled a 15" OK

Only had a brief use of a 353 whilst repairing it, it seemed to be a bit gutless compared to my 346XP - just my opinion! I thought it would be similar but just didn't fly as I was expecting!

Have you thought about the 350 Husky, good value, not a Pro saw but won't disappoint or just get a 346XP and smile each time you use it!

The 550 is ace, but it's not really a firewooding saw - it's a proper lightweight production felling saw and likes to be worked hard :thumbup:

You should see the saws I use for my firewood, don't think anybody creates more chip and firewood in such a short a time:lol:

I used a 345 Husky for a long time for firewood, really nice saw and never let me down - good punchy little saw - very 346 like at a lower cost!