Do you climb in the rain?

Perkins

Do you climb in the rain?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you climb in the rain?

• Yes, it doesn't bother me.
    • Only if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.
    • No (please expand)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Dean. I too have a load of kit to maintain, and a load of staff to pay too. The choice is simple. Work in the rain or don't get paid. When the weather is really foul we moderate our expectations of what is acheivable. I'm guessing your business model is different to mine.

If we have to line up NRSWA, OCC TMA, SSE and have lights camera action on a busy section of road with 8-10 guys, do you really think, 'Sorry everyone, looks like it might rain, we'll have to book everyone for another day. Do you mind if we reschedule?', is going to help our business?

That's why I choose not to go down the complicated route, why have all that hassle for the same money. I,ve seen bigger firms pricing against each other to take down big roadside tree for next to nowt just to cover their over heads. Why have all that hassle when you can trim mrs smiths hedges for twice the money.

I have got to the point now where I just let them get on with it and chuckle to myself how hard they make it for themselves

Nice place to be. Pricing cock-ups aside, we have to be commercially viable for both profitability and competitiveness. We price accordingly to get the job done, not to get the job. Some we get, some we don't. If it's wet we commit the resources to get it done on time. If it's dry we can get it done and more or use less resource. With a long-term client relationship we work on a reasonable profit through the year. If we didn't deliver owing to wet weather we wouldn't be called upon to do the peachey jobs, in fact we wouldn't get called.

I see you have developed a working model that you like. I have one that I like. Everyone gets hassle. It comes down to how one deals with perceived hassle that develop jaundiced views. I happen to thrive on the logistical, technical and managerial challenges of my company. My guys are happy, have a career path and work in the sun, wind and rain. (I give them sun cream and rain coats)

My main point about working in the wet is the safety issue, not whether you mind getting wet or your workers mind getting wet.

Profit comes second to safety.

Why anyone would want to take down a slimy Sycamore in the pishing rain when the forecast is good for the next day is beyond me.

This year has been unprecedented for rain, I got wet about three times this year, but previous to that I reckon I have got my gear wet about three or four times in ten years.

Please just take this as my personal thoughts and not a dig at you but,

I just think its so easy to reschedule jobs to fit round the weather (this year may be an exception) that to work on big jobs or climbing jobs in the phishing rain is either down to desperation or greed

Simple rule, it usually holds true, unless the weather people on the tv actually say its going to pee down ALL day: "Rain at seven, gone by eleven"

Very rarely does it rain all day. I don't like working in the rain, but it won't soak through my skin..