Is lock jack rated for srt?

munkymadman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering how long you may have stuck it out with this combination of the Rope Wrench and the Lockjack, and whether or not you remained a fan of it over the long haul.

I guess nowadays the Rope Runner and the Bulldog Bone would both do the same thing as this combination of devices, I'm just curious to know if this combination might be a third alternative that works really well. The reason for my curiosity is a desire to eventually own a system that allows fairly quick on and off of the rope, to aid in establishing a new redirect point in SRT.

Tim

From what I've seen, no one stuck wi the LJ RW combination because there are four better products on the market.

If you want a device that can be used on DRT and SRT and is quick to get on and off your rope, the BDB or Unicender ticks those boxes.

If it's a device that switches between SRT and DRT then I'd choose the Hitch Hiker or BDB (although I have not used a BDB).

Jake james, the guy who started this thread was on the RWLJ combo for quite sometimes. When I was working with him he had no problems with the system to my knowledge.

Jake did get one of the first runs of the runner and now he also has a BDB.

Climber guy, maybe just go for the BDB. It seems to have the attributes you are after.

You never know. Jake might see this and chime in.

Hey, Old Mill Tree Care and Rich Rule! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, your input is greatly appreciated!

Rich, it is really cool that I get to interact like this with a man such as yourself who worked directly with someone who used this setup for a prolonged period of time and had no real issues with it.

Thanks again to both of you.

Tim

:thumbup1:

For your own safety, don't believe that unless you hear it from the man himself.

Rich says that Jake no longer uses the RW/LJ combo.

:001_smile:

Roger, that. If I did decide to try it I would use it "low and slow" first, as everyone always suggests. I tend to be a very safety conscious climber, and most of the time I climb SRT with two ropes and two systems. I would do the same with this if I ever chose to give it a try, so I would always have a second means of attachment to a solid set of suspension points.

The Lockjack Sport with a swivel costs more than a Rope Runner does, although the Rope Runner is currently out of stock at treestuff.com. I have no idea how much the Bulldog Bone costs. I'm assuming the Bulldog Bone is only available directly from the inventor, as I don't ever remember anyone saying that they purchased one from an arborist supply store, as of yet.

I guess my interest in the Lockjack is because it seems like it has been around for a long time, is a really high quality product with fairly amazing engineering behind it, and because it might be possible to employ it in its intended fashion DdRT, and in SRT also, without the blessing of the manufacturer.

I own the Snake Anchor and love it; I think it's a really high quality piece of gear. So I'm curious about the quality of ART's other products, too.

If I were to go out with the intention of buying one of the newer SRT devices out there (I already own and use the Rope Wrench and the original Hitch Hiker), I think I would have to make my first purchase the Rope Runner, just because I feel as though the entire arb world owes a debt to Kevin Bingham for pushing SRT forward with the Rope Wrench, and that the other devices built on his idea. So, before anyone else, I would like to see Kevin experience success in the marketplace.

I'll throw my money at the others after Kevin gets his due.

The Lockjack is the only exception I think I'd make to this, since according to this article, it was out long before the Rope Wrench.

ART - Honey Brothers Ltd

That's all for now, thanks again for all of your input and advice.

Tim