Road closures.

Graham

But what happens if you contact the Council playing the DDD card and they then force the customer to take the tree down ASAP and still pay the bill or even worse they take it down and charge the customer

So £1600 is a reasonable price then ??

If the customer is aware of the costs then it isnt a problem at all.

Anyhow I would just point out all the dead trees the council have lining the roads and ask them about removing these first before they tried to pull a fast one and get a job out of my customer.

I didnt say £1600 was a reasonable cost what do you think it should be?

I think it is fairly straight forward, the road needs to be closed off rat run or not a permit is still required.

If you would try and get away with it then fair enough if things go t**s up would you be happy to pay the price.

Would you also be happy seeing some other firm doing the job while you had asked for a road closure?

You cant really slag off others in other threads about people cutting corners and not doing a professional job then suggest something like this. I can because I'm a hypocrite :001_tongue:

As stated by someone else the crane firm probably wont do the job without the permit so it would be a non starter from the beginning.

We all cut corners now and then but we also have different ideas on how far a corner we can cut.

It would just be too big of a risk involved for me to try and get away with it IMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....and all this on a cut through road and with a 3 d's tree. Hmmm don't think so mate, initative springs to mind.

There's not many that will take the risk of making you pack everything up and sending you on your way if you have judged the tree dangerous and are taking immediate action

...so, again, tell me how H&S will suffer[/QU

There are many reasons already listed by several people why your short cuts on a Sunday is a H&S issue. You seem to be having some problems understanding other peoples knowledge on this matter.

As already said by graham the crane will block all the highway. So it is the law that you carryout a offical road closure.

Looking forward for your next poor idea!

I wouldn't do it with a crane at all, far too much expense involved, but then I wouldn't use a crane. I also would never totally block a road, I can move my mewp in about 1 minute 30 seconds.

I have temporarily closed four roads last year which I can remember

We are all hypocrytes I'm afraid, there isn't one person on this forum that hasn't cut corners in one way or another. No-one is whiter than white :sneaky2:.

My gripe is the cost, it should be free and closure within a 14 day time period, if this was the case believe me, I would be first in the queue every time.

Last time I applied for a closure they wanted £400 for a four hour job and I think it was 6 weeks notice. They told me if it was only a temporary closure of say 40 mins, it was ok for me to go ahead ( i think that was the time quoted :confused1:) So I just shut the road for 40 mins, re-opened for 5 and re-shut for 40.

I always shut the roads I work on on a sunday to minimise the disruption, the last one I shut I had one car that had to turn round, all the others we were able to let through in between drops

Would you also be happy seeing some other firm doing the job while you had asked for a road closure?

If road closures were not charged for we wouldn't have this problem would we :001_smile:. By charging silly money and taking so long to implement a closure only encourages people to cut corners.

Imagine if Applications to work on Trees with TPO's incurred a say £200 charge or applying to put a tpo on a tree cost money.

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

There are many reasons already listed by several people why your short cuts on a Sunday is a H&S issue. You seem to be having some problems understanding other peoples knowledge on this matter.

!

Right so doing it on a monday will not breach any H&S issues then :confused1::confused1:

Yep, your right mate, I'm having a real problem understanding why an temp unofficial road closure will breach H&S

Please explain

Thing is though if there was no cost involved in road closures then imagine how many of them there would be :scared1:

I would say that is the main reason for permit and cost.

I could do with getting a road closed more or less every other day, would make my life a hell of a lot easier and would be a lot safer for us.

The prices quoted £1600 and £2000 are over the top i think.

Welwel what is the justification in the £2000 cost? did they give you a breakdown?

Right so doing it on a monday will not breach any H&S issues then :confused1::confused1:

Yep, your right mate, I'm having a real problem understanding why an temp unofficial road closure will breach H&S

Please explain[/quote

You seem to think by doing it on a Sunday you are exempt of a legal requirement.

Does not matter what day you do it on you MUST put an official closure on.

Sorry you find it hard to understand, every one else seems to grasp it.

You seem to think by doing it on a Sunday you are exempt of a legal requirement.

Does not matter what day you do it on you MUST put an official closure on.

Sorry you find it hard to understand, every one else seems to grasp it.

Oh now we're getting there, it has nothing to do with H&S.

Mate, you telling me you have covered all your legal requirements when working roadside, because if your not backed up someones drive, your roadside.

If your telling me YOU fulfill every legal requirement then I'd be MORE than amazed mate becaue you'd be unique :sneaky2:

When you are whiter than white............................

I thought for a minute you were trying to insinuate that for some reason, my working practice and obligation to H&S was different on a sunday to what it is during the week :confused1::confused1:

Thing is though if there was no cost involved in road closures then imagine how many of them there would be :scared1:

I would say that is the main reason for permit and cost.

I could do with getting a road closed more or less every other day, would make my life a hell of a lot easier and would be a lot safer for us.

The prices quoted £1600 and £2000 are over the top i think.

Welwel what is the justification in the £2000 cost? did they give you a breakdown?

Lol, that's where Highways discretion would have to be used.. but charging shouldn't be the way that decision is made, it should be down to the highways officer to filter out the needless application :001_smile:

Lol, that's where Highways discretion would have to be used.. but charging shouldn't be the way that decision is made, it should be down to the highways officer to filter out the needless application :001_smile:

The highways officer would still need paying so the money would have to come from somewhere. You know how much they charge for this type of thing probably something like £600 per man per hour :sneaky2:

Besides we run a business so everyone is out there to take a bit of it :mad1: