Road closures.

Graham

All this forgets one thing:

I wonder if the Crane driver would be prepared to operate without a full closure, I doubt it.

Personally I wouldn't want the risk it, only takes one uptight local to get on a high horse and phone the council and your in trouble.

Ill admit Ive done one or two unofficial Sunday cone out jobs but still maintaining a lane... total closure never.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got one coming up in Brighouse town centre, it's horrendously busy but only 50 yards long, I'm going to do it on a Sunday, shut one half completely and divert my side traffic 50 yards further on and round.

I'm sorry but if we are talking a "cut through" or "Rat run" road and the normal route isn't far round I wouldn't have any problem shutting the road completely unofficailly for 3 D's if the LA are playing silly sods and charging silly money.

I personally would have used my MEWP which would leave a lane free but would still close it to normal traffic and pedestrians as I wouldn't like numpty inconsiderate pillarks driving past my MEWP legs while I was 60ft up

I'll say again, if the LA didn't charge or charged reasonable amounts and did it in a reasonable time scale, we wouldn't have this problem would we.

Personally I wouldn't want the risk it, only takes one uptight local to get on a high horse and phone the council and your in trouble.

Do the council work on a sunday??

That is the idea of doing it on a sunday, it would be done and dusted by sunday afternoon and by the time the council got there monday or tuesday afternoon a week later, there'd be no sign anyone had ever been there

Sounds to me like the tree is dangerous. I'm 99% sure that there was a case where the contractor got a job but did not do the work in a reasonable time scale and the tree failed. It went to court and the judge ruled that 14 days was plenty of time for work to be completed (dangerous) from getting job.

Thats why there is misc 5 of the highways act,to allow for closure in such cases. Take some pics,email them to the highways dept,tell them that you want the road closed within x no of days and if not you will close it yourself and do the work.Remind them in no uncertain terms that they have a legal responsibility. Don't let them bully you, turn on them instead. It's suprising how things can change once you put things in writing. If you have to do it yourself, tell the police and let them know why,they may even send a car to help. In the past we have had the fire brigade and used it as a training session with them cutting up on the road.

Send team of men with machinery, pay them time double time on a Sunday.

Don't forget the crane hire.

To run the risk of LA or police telling you to go away and try again with an official road closure.

Only to pay it all again and the closure fee.

Don't forget how impressed the client will be.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Send team of men with machinery, pay them time double time on a Sunday.

Don't forget the crane hire.

To run the risk of LA or police telling you to go away and try again with an official road closure.

Only to pay it all again and the closure fee.

Don't forget how impressed the client will be.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

....and all this on a cut through road and with a 3 d's tree. Hmmm don't think so mate, initative springs to mind.

There's not many that will take the risk of making you pack everything up and sending you on your way if you have judged the tree dangerous and are taking immediate action

...so, again, tell me how H&S will suffer