I am fuming - advice / feedback wanted.

Tom10

I am contract climbing for 3 days this week. Today, tomorrow and Thursday.

The spec is to remove one pine and 5 Silver Birch trees from a rear garden of a house with NO tree restrictions.

So, I get the pine on the floor and the first silver birch when the local TO arrives, assuring us he has not been 'tipped off' and was just passing and wanted to see what we were up to.

He goes on to say how he knows we have to earn a living but removing the trees on the spec was ludicrous and they have great amenity value. He also assures us we are legal to do the work and cant stop us at that point.

We point out the Silver birch trees still standing are all far too close together, are all completely Ivy covered, are holding lots of dead wood over a boundary and are nearing the end of their lives anyway being not a very long lasting species. They have no crown shape, they have nothing that any right minded person would say is good about them. We point out the idea of replanting an English species in a more suitable location within the grounds.

The front garden which we are not working in has a lovely TPO'd oak and a TPO'd beech so the property has tree value without the ageing scrubby ivy clad Silver Birch trees.

He warns of no action simply leaves a card and asks us to give to the customer to contact for advice and a chat.

I have just received a call after work hours from the contractor saying the remaining Silver Birches have an order on them so we have to stop work.

This is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard of.

I SO SO support TO's work and they have the power to protect our many specimen trees which someone needs to. This really is a jobsworths act with NO arboricultural thinking AT ALL.

Not to mention our lack of earnings now.

Lastly, the council were informed of this work several weeks ago when the contractor checked the address for restrictions.

Who governs these people? Someone should, or they should give the job to someone who will respect their power.

Shocking.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they aren't worthy of a TPO you could appeal against it...

Of course - but either outcome wastes someones time and money.

We appeal against it and win and the TO has wasted hours of his and our time, and the councils money for no reason.

We lose and we waste hours appealing full stop.

We point out the Silver birch trees still standing are all far too close together, are all completely Ivy covered, are holding lots of dead wood over a boundary and are nearing the end of their lives anyway being not a very long lasting species. They have no crown shape, they have nothing that any right minded person would say is good about them. We point out the idea of replanting an English species in a more suitable location within the grounds.

Firstly, Silver Birch is native in all parts of Britain.

Secondly, Local Authorities have a duty to try and protect wildlife habitat around villages, towns and cities, those Birches sound like ideal habitat regardless of their aesthetic appearance.

I'd just forget about the incident and move on.

ive had the same in Rutland, local planning bod, no idea about trees, has tpo'd an ash tree with inonotus hispidus, didnt even see the massive brackets!!

Just didnt want us to remove it, because of amenity value, never mind the chaps house!!

Now i have to reapply!! Cause of the tpo! total waste of time!

Firstly, Silver Birch is native in all parts of Britain.

Secondly, Local Authorities have a duty to try and protect wildlife habitat around villages, towns and cities, those Birches sound like ideal habitat regardless of their aesthetic appearance.

I'd just forget about the incident and move on.

I never said they weren't - though i see how it reads, apologies. I just meant we will replant English trees (not to mean Birchs aren't)

What about the already TPO'd trees plus conifer hedge and shrubs in the rear garden also? Plus our replants.

Thanks for feedback.

ive had the same in Rutland, local planning bod, no idea about trees, has tpo'd an ash tree with inonotus hispidus, didnt even see the massive brackets!!

Just didnt want us to remove it, because of amenity value, never mind the chaps house!!

Now i have to reapply!! Cause of the tpo! total waste of time!

I take little comfort that theres more of these short sighted TO's working in the industry - but I feel your pain :sneaky2: