Soft/hardwood tonne bags

A Townsend

Don't try and sell something as a tonne if it doesn't weigh a tonne. A tonne bag is only a tonne bag if it's contents weigh a tonne.

Dont think i did. . . Please wind your neck in. A tonne bag is a generic term so a layman has an opportunity to understand what he/she is looking to buy.Feel free to call me and discuss if you're particularly upset.

Thanks,

Andrew

P.s cheers stu and herm

A tonne bag is a generic term so a layman has an opportunity to understand what he/she is looking to buy.

The problem is that to a layman a tonne bag of wood holds a tonne of wood. It may be that to those 'in the know' a tonne bag of wood is actually a bag of uncertain volume containing an uncertain volume of wood, and this may seem obvious to you, but to the layman it just seems like another con by those dodgy firewood merchants.

I'm not stupid, but before I started reading Arbtalk I had no idea that a tonne bag of wood didn't actually weigh anything even vaguely in the ballpark of a tonne, because it had never occurred to me to question it. I just thought it was probably a bit short of a tonne and I was only being ripped off a little. Yes, I do understand water content, air space, density and volume but as a firewood customer I just hadn't thought about it.

It's the perception that's the problem, and honestly, with the frequency this sort of thing is discussed I'm surprised to see one of you guys talking about tonne bags.

trading standards are "hot" on this one, describing the article for sale as a ton bag of logs is deliberately misleading the buyer as the contents dont weigh a ton, there was a guy round here selling ton bags of logs, and advertising in our local paper as such, trading standards prosecuted him, and the add now reads builders bag of logs, depending on the type and moisture content, these bags can weigh anything from 250 to 600 kgs, so if a smart member of the public reports you , it could lead to a visit from trading standards

0.73 cubic meters

A 900x900x900mm bag volume would only be .73 cu m if the bag does not bulge out.

If the top bulges to a circle then the volume would be .83 cu m (average of 900 cubed and 900 cylinder)......or about one cubic yard.

I like the name "bulk bag". "Builders bag" could be one of those thick rubble bags holding about 40 litres and as already mentioned "tonne bag" could imply it contains 1000kg.The other problem is that bulk bags do vary in size so I specify the dimensions of the bag.

The weight of firewood is greatly affected by its water content. So you would get many more kilos of high moisture content firewood in a "bulk bag" than one filled with dry (seasoned) firewood.

What many customers are buying is the idea of a log fire. Others are buying heat. Burning moist firewood uses much of its heat in boiling that water and turning it into steam (heating water uses lots of energy and vapourising it uses even loads more) so less energy remains to radiate into the room.

This is why I like to sell firewood by volume and not weight. Perhaps we should also specify a moisture content. Fairly easy to measure by cutting a log in half and then using a moisture meter on the fresh cut surface. Basic moisture meters are very cheap these days.

Andrew - (pedantic grandma sucking eggs)

(quote) interested parties pls contact me and you can view, measure and satisfy yourself on quality etc. I would expect this to be the norm prior to any order or sale.

(quote)

With the greatest of respect agrimog i have been selling logs for a good while and have 60 years from past generations in the family selling logs without issue or hinderence. I make it my business to try and help others and post relevant comments only and obviously this is not the case for others on the forum. Every effort has been made to emphasise the importance of viewing and contact to discuss prior to any order etc.

Everyone needs there 2 pence worth tho i guess even they're not even interested in a purchase. . . .