Advice in killing an acacia

sasha.p

Just need some advice please I have a job lined up and the tree is in a neighbours garden but grows up against the wall over the top,basically sat on top and up into the customers garden I have had the ok from the L.A to remove the tree as its infected and dying but what I want to know is if I cut it back to where the customers boundry wall is am I allowed to eco plug it?and kill it off as they do not want re growth its a tricky situation the man next door likes his trees A LOT and he has promised time after time he would remove it or reduce it but never followed through after I was granted permission he promised my customer he would do it with his saw I told my customer thats fine just let me know if he lets you down again left it a month and once again the tree is still there no sign of this neighbour I am friends with the customer so its more doing them a favour than anything but I dont want to get this guy on my back about killing his tree am I legally allowed to kill the remaining trunk that will be in his garden or should I leave it well alone and allow it to re grow?what are the rules surrounding this?

As a property owner, you are legally entitled to remove material which crosses over the boundary and is above your property. Therefor, you as the contractor, would be acting lawfully when fulfilling your clients brief.

However!

The pruning operations should not be of detriment to the health/wellbeing and ongoing safety of the tree in relation to its structure etc. Also, the tree is still the property of the neighbour after all, they may have a change of heart so get permission in writing from them prior to doing the work.

This is what I believe to be the case anyway. From past experience being caught up in a dispute between neighbours is a pain in the butt.

a

I would leave it well alone as you could find yourself trying to find a new mature Acacia to go in its place . If you do get involved i would just cut it back to a suitble point and then go back again to keep it in check.

hi there somebody once told me if you cut the tree back to the boundary you are supposed to offer the neighbour the debris is this true?

a

hi there somebody once told me if you cut the tree back to the boundary you are supposed to offer the neighbour the debris is this true?

Technically. But I doubt they'd want a pile of twigs and leaves.

Thanks I think I will take your advice im gonna leave this well alone then and just offer to keep it in check if it does come back over I dont want to eco plug it if it will be wrong to do so with any luck he will cut the rest down hiself once he spots its been worked on think I am going to go in with the silent technique and silky saw as much as possible to keep noise minimal before he spots me lol :lol:coward aint I but I really do not want the hassle of a disgruntal neighbour even the tree officer agreed it has to come down and apparently one of his other trees came down a few years ago and took out part of their wall hence why they are concerened about this one as with the way its leaning and condition would only be a matter of time.Makes me wish he had brought out his saw and sorted it hiself but I knew that would not happen but then he still has 6 days to do so lol.Thanks for the advice all :thumbup1:

Is all the cloak and dagger silky work to be done from your clients property?, as i understand it , you cannot climb a tree with out the owners permission. possible minefield. i have been asked to remove my foot from a crotch of a tree while topping a neighbours hedge.

Legally, the neighbour's tree is causing a nuisance of which he is aware. He has been given notice of this nuisance and had opportunities to abate the nuisance which he has failed to do. You can cut back as much as you like to the boundary as long as you don't harm the tree. :001_smile:

Well any works shouldn't leave the tree in a dangerous condition but otherwise I am not so sure about harming the tree, if the tree cannot survive without the ongoing nuisance, then it simply cannot survive.

Surely the health of the tree cannot be used to licence a trespass?