Re-trained hard worker Vs Youth

MWArb

Hi Guys

I have seen a lot of threads for college Vs time served but none that tell me what I'm after so here goes my first thread...

I am 33, I was a builder for 12 years (good reference) decided to take two years off then re-trained as a tree surgeon, went to college and got level 2 arb, level 3 forestry and arb, 30, 31 and 38. finished in june aiming for 39 in sept/oct.

I am a hard worker, quick learner and have my own climbing kit and transport (no saws)

My question is this... how may of you would chose to employ me over a young lad with similar or the same qualifications? and why?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be completely illegal to make a choice based on someone's age!

However, I get what you're saying. I'd take the right person, based on skills, experience and attitude. A slightly older person might be better qualified in those respects, but age is no guarantee either way. You sound like you have a lot to offer, so I can't see your age being an issue.

thx for the response so far guys all good stuff... don't want anyone thinking i'm knocking the young lads leaving college, I went to college with some great lads and some of them are flying in the industry already.... in the building industry young lads are used more often as they have more time to give you and work for less with little or no responsibilities at home. I wanted to see what the opinion here was and so far I have to say I'm happy to see hard work and dedication coming out on top.

I have a preference for someone a little older, for the following reasons:

1. I retrained myself and so like to help out people like me. I also find people who've done more different things more interesting and that helps the day along.

2. If you're 25 or over you can drive the truck on my insurance.

3. People who are a little older often have a bit more common sense / awareness that things can go wrong. A bit of caution in tree work helps to avoid the breakages/injuries!

1. I retrained myself and so like to help out people like me. I also find people who've done more different things more interesting and that helps the day along.

3. People who are a little older often have a bit more common sense / awareness that things can go wrong. A bit of caution in tree work helps to avoid the breakages/injuries!

Hope to find guys like you in my area... this is exactly what I was hoping when I decided to retrain in the first place :thumbup:

Wages might make a difference. Although it's wrong to make a selection based on age, an employer can pay a wage that is so low that the only people who can live on it are kids living at home!

This is my biggest fear.... I hold no grudges against the guys at home with parents.. good luck to them, a hard worker is a hard worker regardless of age or situation, I just hope they understand the blessings they have with such little overheads.

I have recently tried to employ under 25's and cannot get insurance for them to drive the trucks.

This for me makes them un-employable!

Frustrating as I have some good guys I can't use!!