Elf n Safety

windfall

I never thought you were mate, but a lot of people underestimate what a main contractor will pay for a compliant problem free job.

I do domestic in order to avoid payment problem, headaches.

I'm trying to do a job for my local golf club, where I am a member, clearing their phone lines .... but...on land belonging to ICI.

I am dealing with so much crap, that I can't get on site.

I will take this as a hint and double my price:thumbup1:

Edited by Albedo
typo

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhha but in your ladders page it says

Well I can't see how tree felling can be described as low risk

Well, that would depend how it's done. A small tree, dismantled in small sections, with a Silky from a ladder is low risk. To introduce a chainsaw makes it high risk.

I never thought you were mate, but a lot of people underestimate what a main contractor will pay for a compliant problem free job.

Yep, like the £85 charged to the council for a compliant, problem free, single lightbulb replacement in a house.

I do domestic in order to avoid payment problem, headaches.

I'm trying to do a job for my local golf club, where I am a member, clearing their phone lines .... but...on land belonging to ICI.

I am dealing with so much crap, that I can't get on site.

I will take this as a hint and double my price:thumbup1:

You need to charge more because of the paperwork, it takes time and you can't do it for free.

You need to charge more because of the paperwork, it takes time and you can't do it for free.

What will probably happen, is that I'll walk away as I'm not up for all the H&S stuff on principal. I refuse to jump through the hoops.

I have to point out that this type of decision is coloured for me as I have an emigration application in (again). If I was staying here, would I jump through the hoops?

I don't think I would as I think that as there is a principal at stake there is a stand to be taken.

Edited by Albedo

What will probably happen, is that I'll walk away as I'm not up for all the H&S stuff on principal. I refuse to jump through the hoops.

I have to point out that this type of decision is coloured for me as I have an emigration application in (again). If I was staying here, would I jump through the hoops?

I don't think I would as I think that as there is a principal at stake there is a stand to be taken.

When I started in this industry the H&S culture was nothing like as complicated as it is now, the no win no fee legislation saw to that (another thing to thank Maggie for) so while I have got used to the hoops I still see it as a chore.

On the other hand I can see the need for rules, it's not good having kids getting their arms ripped off by weaving looms in a mill. The problem tree work as an undustry has is that we tend to be focused on the tree rather than the bigger picture unlike most other industry where people are often less passionate about their chose trade.

All I can suggest is the approach that has caused me least grief, I have a bunch of H&S file, most of which you can now download for free, which I can burn to cd or email to the clients safety officer, more often than not that, and a detailed RA and method will suffice.

Well it keeps them in reading material till you get the job done.:sneaky2:

Good luck with ICI, they're one of the more anal corporates.

The ICI dude was on about, RAs, method statements, traffic management and on site induction courses etc. He was going on about all the perceived risks I face.

I said ‘look mate’, I wanna chuck my gear over the fence, bosh the offending trees out, clear up the mess, then go home and sink a couple of cold ones’

I could hear his blood pressure rising. Perhaps he should put down stress management of ICI staff on his RA…. I think I said that to him too if I remember rightly.

I said ‘look mate’, I wanna chuck my gear over the fence, bosh the offending trees out, clear up the mess, then go home and sink a couple of cold ones’

I could hear his blood pressure rising. Perhaps he should put down stress management of ICI staff on his RA…. I think I said that to him too if I remember rightly.

Superb :-)

The ICI dude was on about, RAs, method statements, traffic management and on site induction courses etc. He was going on about all the perceived risks I face.

Nothing too onerous there, in fact that's just standard fare, you can download the generic risk assessment and method statement from the AA website but the one you have just needs a few industry best practice bits and loose the reference to the cold ones and you are good to go. :thumbup:

If you want some help let me now.