Elf n Safety

windfall

Out of interest, how do you know he has spent many years climbing up trees on a ladder with a chainsaw and ignoring the rules? I can't see any reference to this at all. This is quite important to know as you state he has saved many thousands over the years... but you can only know that if you know how many jobs he has done like this. If this is the only job, then he stood to perhaps save himself, or the customer, something like £150. Just wondering.

Exactly my thorghts entirely.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, how do you know he has spent many years climbing up trees on a ladder with a chainsaw and ignoring the rules? I can't see any reference to this at all. This is quite important to know as you state he has saved many thousands over the years... but you can only know that if you know how many jobs he has done like this. If this is the only job, then he stood to perhaps save himself, or the customer, something like £150. Just wondering.

Exactly my thorghts entirely.

He is a landscaper in his fifties, even if he only came into landscaping yesterday which i severely doubt, he has still saved training and certification to CS 39, for him up to CS 38 for his employee, and a full set of chainsaw PPE each. That lot would come to more than his fines.

As you say there is no proof how long he has been winging it, but he referes to "his style of pruning". You don't develop a pruning style overnight. His web presence such as it is is limited to free listings and once again they don't pick up on you overnight so all the indications a that he has been around for a while.

Out of interest how do you figure £150.00?

He is a landscaper in his fifties, even if he only came into landscaping yesterday which i severely doubt, he has still saved training and certification to CS 39, for him up to CS 38 for his employee, and a full set of chainsaw PPE each. That lot would come to more than his fines.

As you say there is no proof how long he has been winging it, but he referes to "his style of pruning". You don't develop a pruning style overnight. His web presence such as it is is limited to free listings and once again they don't pick up on you overnight so all the indications a that he has been around for a while.

Out of interest how do you figure £150.00?

All speculation. He could well have been landscaping for years - that doesn't mean he has taken down loads of trees over the years. And so what if he refers to his "style of pruning"? Anyone can develop a style of pruning in the blink of an eye. I don't climb trees with a chainsaw, but I've got a brilliant style of pruning that I learned the first time I touched a rose bush, and the first time I worked on a prunus from the ground with telescopic loppers and same with apple and all sorts! I'm perfect at what I do :) I don't need chainsaw+climbing tickets to do a proper job :)

Figure of £150 was easy to arrive at - small tree, one bloke with ticket for a few hours to fell it.

Edited by Pedroski

All speculation.

Figure of £150 was easy to arrive at - small tree, one bloke with ticket for a few hours to fell it.

Well of you can prove that he only started that day I will accept speculation, he didn't get fined for not using a freelancer he got fined for doing it himself and the costs of doing it himself are full PPE and training.

Assuming he had used a freelancer he would have needed someone with a rescue ticket so more than your £150.00

Well of you can prove that he only started that day I will accept speculation, he didn't get fined for not using a freelancer he got fined for doing it himself and the costs of doing it himself are full PPE and training.

Assuming he had used a freelancer he would have needed someone with a rescue ticket so more than your £150.00

I don't see why he would have needed someone with a rescue ticket. There are freelancers who would have had that to the ground in less than half a day on their own and probably not even having to go up it. Christ, I would have just whacked off what I could from the ground with telescopic pole saw, then knocked the top half off then knocked the rest over - from the picture it just looks like skinny stuff to me :001_rolleyes: 20ft tree!

I don't see why he would have needed someone with a rescue ticket. There are freelancers who would have had that to the ground in less than half a day on their own and probably not even having to go up it. Christ, I would have just whacked off what I could from the ground with telescopic pole saw, then knocked the top half off then knocked the rest over - from the picture it just looks like skinny stuff to me :001_rolleyes: 20ft tree!

Probably not even having to go up it, is that speculation?

Well he is up the tree so that's a rescue ticket needed

Probably not even having to go up it, is that speculation?

Well he is up the tree so that's a rescue ticket needed

Yes, HE went up the tree, but it's a 20ft twig! That's not speculation - that's what it states in the article. Granted, he was a knob going up it like that with a chainsaw - just asking for trouble. Would have been better going up a ladder without the chainsaw - no use of chainsaw so CS tickets don't apply. Not sure is there's such a thing as a "Silky" ticket. Tie the ladder in properly and he's good for working at height! :lol: Or do it from the ground. Cheap.

Yes, HE went up the tree, but it's a 20ft twig! That's not speculation - that's what it states in the article. Granted, he was a knob going up it like that with a chainsaw - just asking for trouble. Would have been better going up a ladder without the chainsaw - no use of chainsaw so CS tickets don't apply. Not sure is there's such a thing as a "Silky" ticket. Tie the ladder in properly and he's good for working at height! :lol: Or do it from the ground. Cheap.

No afraid not, it's the person that should be secured from falling.