Finally got a Husky...

New Forest DEAN

For those interested:

Tested the Husky 445 (not trying to sound cool - I can't spell Husqvarna) with a 15" bar on some 18" dia oak and beech - I found that it has to be on totally full rev's from the start of the cut or it will bind.

Also the blade has to fed base first for quite a long way through the cut. Trying to roll the bar nose down around the bumper spikes (dogs?) when less than about 1/2 way through the log will also bind the blade. This means the blade is well over 45 deg's or more, tip up.

Unlike the Echo I used, any real force down on the blade from me and it starts to bind or stop. Less pressure and it seems to cut quite well, the above aside.

In short - (bearing in mind I'm a novice), it seems a little underpowered unless my technique is improved. Cuts through 12" stuff quite easily; 6" like butter.

About 30 minutes use so far and the chain is still not loose.

I'm sure some of my 'technique' above will set safety alarm bells off.....

DEAN

Edited by New Forest DEAN

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't want to be forcing any tool through the work. Let the tool do the job and only apply the force required to keep it in place. Trying to make tools do things they can't will cause problems and you don't want this with a hand saw, never mind something which can de-limb you in half a second.

From what you say, it sounds like the chain is not sharp. Is it new? Have you hit any metal / stone with it?

Not sure if a 445 should be eating up 18" wood?

Cheers - DEAN.

18" beech or oak are going to be pretty hard whether green or not - a 45cc domestic saw definitely isn't going to eat it at anything other than a steady chew, especially after only 30 mins of being fresh out of the box.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

For those interested:

Tested the Husky 445 (not trying to sound cool - I can't spell Husqvarna) with a 15" bar on some 18" dia oak and beech - I found that it has to be on totally full rev's from the start of the cut or it will bind.

Also the blade has to fed base first for quite a long way through the cut. Trying to roll the bar nose down around the bumper spikes (dogs?) when less than about 1/2 way through the log will also bind the blade. This means the blade is well over 45 deg's or more, tip up.

Unlike the Echo I used, any real force down on the blade from me and it starts to bind or stop. Less pressure and it seems to cut quite well, the above aside.

In short - (bearing in mind I'm a novice), it seems a little underpowered unless my technique is improved. Cuts through 12" stuff quite easily; 6" like butter.

About 30 minutes use so far and the chain is still not loose.

I'm sure some of my 'technique' above will set safety alarm bells off.....

DEAN

it isnt a xp model so surly you cant expect too much power from a small saw. also let the saw do the cutting. a husky 346xp or a 550xp is more inline for 18inch oak

I've got a 345e and ringed up an oak butt the other day which was at least 30" across. Used a 20" bar. It didn't struggle at all. I could surely have done it faster with a more powerful saw but it did the job with no problems. The key is to not try and make the saw do things it can't. Apply moderate pressure (even just he weight of the saw) and let the saw do the work. Forcing it is just going to make the motor struggle and put everything under strain which means you get more heat and more wear.

The problem you have is that the saw isn't liking the 1.5mm gauge bar and chain. This is more suited to 50cc pro saws and upwards.

Semi chisel is better on lower power models and 1.3mm will sap less power than the 1.5mm gauge.

My recommendation, talk to Rob D on this site and get a 15" microlite pro Oregon bar and a loop of 95VPX chain and enjoy the saw.

This was my 345 Husky on a 15" 1.3mm semi chisel

That could be good - Rob D is about a mile from my house :001_smile:

Not sure why the suppliers put that bar and chain on then - they even went to some lengths to explain the benefits when they sold me a spare chain (I did ask about narrower chains having read Spud comments on other threads).

Still most of the 13 tonnes I have to ring is under 18", although I even managed to get it to bind on a 6" log today - slight twist and it stopped.

Thanks for your responses and patience with a kook.

DEAN.

That could be good - Rob D is about a mile from my house :001_smile:

Not sure why the suppliers put that bar and chain on then - they even went to some lengths to explain the benefits when they sold me a spare chain (I did ask about narrower chains having read Spud comments on other threads).

Still most of the 13 tonnes I have to ring is under 18", although I even managed to get it to bind on a 6" log today - slight twist and it stopped.

Thanks for your responses and patience with a kook.

DEAN.

The benefit of the 1.5mm chain is that it won't stretch as much and offers more strength in its set up and build but it is taking out a wider kerf and having used a few smaller saws now with either full chisel or 1.5mm bar and chain, it really takes the power out of the saw - bit like using a 1/2" wood chisel against a 1.5" one - the larger one takes more effort!

Stihl fit a 1.1mm gauge on their 181/171 - 017/018 saws because of this!

Full chisel is very aggressive if you have the power to pull it but semi chisel is less power hungry and is easier to sharpen IMO and better for these smaller home owner saws.

The bar and chain I mentioned earlier is Oregons narrow kerf set up and your saw on a 15" option with their new 95VPX chain should bring your saw to life and not cost you too much.

Husqvarna do list both 1.3 and 1.5mm options but you need to select what makes the saw nice to use, my 345 was great with a 15" 1.3mm semi chisel - it really shifted!

Rob D is a good guy, talk to him and he will help:thumbup:

Oregon 21BPX064E seems to be a 'micro chisel', the same as the 95VPX (unless I'm misreading the box).

I've looked at the 445 on Youtube and it does seem to be cutting better than mine, but obviously no chain info' and its safe to assume the operator isn't a kook like me!

Thanks again - I will speak to Rob.

DEAN.