tree survey or arb impact assessment?

Hi all been working on my first tree survey want to get it right. ive just had a thought though as the client is a barn/storage developer and the details of what they wanted was a bit sketchy. They have planning permission but the LPA have come back to them and told them they need to have a report done on the tree to show that they have considered it in their plans. so my question is, isit a tree survey to bs5837 or a arb inpact assessment?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it not an Arboricultural Constraints plan you mean? Surveying the trees to see if the proposed plans interfere with them?

Reading the question again!!

I think youre right it sounds like they want a method statement showing guidance on how to make sure the tree is not damaged/destroyed during works in acordance with BS5837.:001_rolleyes:

hi all thanks for quick responses. ok i have included two method statements in my tree survey one with tree protection and the other working in the rpa. should i just let them have the whole survey or just do the method statement then? would i need to do a to a cad drawing for that? also would anyone be willing to offer examples or go over mine dont mind if there fees of course.

I'd suggest having a chat with the LPA to find out what they are after.

The current BS recommends that detailed arb method statements are dealt with under planning condition and that for the application you would only provide an arb impact assessment and possibly heads of terms for a method statement - just enough info to demonstrate that what the developer wants to achieve can be carried out in accordance with the BS.

That's not to say the LPA won't ask for a detailed method statement at this stage, but its worth having a chat with them if you're unsure. Don't be afraid to admit to them you're newly qualified / just starting out or whatever, they won't hold it against you!

Not very professional of the LPA. Your client has either been granted consent or he haven't! They shouldn't even validate an application if it is submitted without sufficient information to address a material consideration.

What exactly is the LPA planning on doing if the findings of the report are unacceptable to them?

Not very professional of the LPA. Your client has either been granted consent or he haven't! They shouldn't even validate an application if it is submitted without sufficient information to address a material consideration.

What exactly is the LPA planning on doing if the findings of the report are unacceptable to them?

Permission subject to conditions of an arb method statement to be approved by the LPA is fairly normal - not really unprofessional.

Permission subject to conditions of an arb method statement to be approved by the LPA is fairly normal - not really unprofessional.

I know, but that's not what the OP said:

"They have planning permission but the LPA have come back to them and told them they need to have a report done on the tree to show that they have considered it in their plans."

If it is a condition, then fair enough, but that's not how it reads. Not to me, anyway :001_rolleyes: