Does dry chip burn in standard stoves?

Stereo

y. I was wondering what occurs if you bung a shovel load in the stove, maybe mixed with logs to create spacing? I would imagine even on it's own a pile of chip would burn well with the bottom vents open on a stove? Or does it not last long enough?

There's no problem doing as you suggest with the logs providing air passages. You can fill a pan with chip and then light a log fire on top of it.

With the Jotul type stove that burns from front to back, like a cigar, you can stack chips at the back and light a log fire at the front.

The problems occur when you put a lot of chip in and it all tries to burn at once, assuming you haven't smothered the fire first. You simply cannot get enough air in. A centrifugal fan from a laptop is good for livening things up.

An old virtual friend, Alex English in Canada, has devised a wedge shaped burner for woodchip that fits between the stove and door. It is an adaption of a combined updraught and downdraught gasifier invented by Aqua Das, known as a Dasifier.

I still prefer a vortex type air curtain device for clean burning but you do require a fan for this.

What you mean it burns too fast or too slow? I would have thought it would kind of smoulder. I'm trying to think of a way to compress it into something. I thought about carpet tubes. Ram it in and then saw them up! Probably loads of chemicals in the card though.

I have tried it with paper bags similar to Mc Donalds carry out bags with the handles on the top. Pack the bags with chip sawdust and any leftovers from a days splitting. Fill to the top then two small staples in the top of bag to seal chuck that in the stove on top of a couple of logs and burns a treat.

• 2 weeks later...