British fungi - name updates

David Humphries

The BMS (FRDBI) have the genus listed as Psuedoinonotus

I think its a new genus David; Inonotus still exists in many other international taxonomic classifications such as http://eol.org/pages/6758632/names

To avoid confusion (and misguided corrections) we will be using;

Psuedoinonotus dryadeus (syn. Inonotus dryadeus)

Until it changes again that is... :D

Edited by Amelanchier

Oh I also understand that Phellinus is in the phylogenetic firing line too.

'Tis the era of the splitters.

yes it is, I would not be too concerned about trying to keep up with them not for arb purposes, psuedoinonotus has been used for a long time anyway in some references.

The names will all go back once this clan of splitters lose place and the others get their foot in the door again!:biggrin:

And they wonder why Mycology is a dying game with no-one wanting to join the ranks! the polotics and name games are worse than in arboriculture!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

And I see Pseudotrametes gibbosa, admittedly only in use briefly for 70 years, has gone back to Trametes.

Good to see an official name for Kretzschmaria deusta (Brittle cinder) though! I have been calling it Cinder Fungus for a couple of years, largely for fear of someone asking me to pronounce or spell its scientific name.

And I see Pseudotrametes gibbosa, admittedly only in use briefly for 70 years, has gone back to Trametes.

Good to see an official name for Kretzschmaria deusta (Brittle cinder) though! I have been calling it Cinder Fungus for a couple of years, largely for fear of someone asking me to pronounce or spell its scientific name.

i always say it like this- Kretzshmahrria De ooosta, it works for me and no ones argued yet!:lol: