eBay con?

mikecotterill

Glad someone else agrees - found the Maltese people very friendly when I went out there a few years ago - they like the English and all our old cars and buses - we helped them in WW2 - quite a history there - read about "Faith Hope and Charity" three Gloster Gladiators we lent them to defend the Island!

Oh good so there's no crime in Malta? I'll go move there then

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a bit bewildered on this.

So he is from Malta! So what! It's eBay? How many items have you brought from other countries on eBay before? It's a global market and has opened opertunities that wasn't available before.

He has paid you and you have the money. He has arranged shipping and collection. All you have to do is make sure you are there to hand it over.

He has added the extra for fees so you are covered on that front. More than most would do.

Sorry to say it but if you didn't want to pay PayPal for using there service that IMO is the best out there then don't sell on eBay or use PayPal. What so you want to sell stuff for free and not pay for it?

Sorry if that bit sounds blunt but it sounds like you are having a go at PayPal because you are having to pay for using a service that allows people to sell to international buyers with very little trouble, and in a safe manner.....

You may be right and it could be genuine. But my recent experience of ebay is its full of chancers and con men. about 20% on ebay are genuine but most are selling junk that died years ago. Even if the items are new in packet they will be 10 years out of date. And the worst thing recently is even if they say they will supply vat invoice you will never see it. The op will pay a good fee for selling through ebay without paying 5% to paypal as well. Greedy people with a monopoly time another out fit give them a run for their money. ebay :thumbdown:

You may be right and it could be genuine. But my recent experience of ebay is its full of chancers and con men. about 20% on ebay are genuine but most are selling junk that died years ago. Even if the items are new in packet they will be 10 years out of date. And the worst thing recently is even if they say they will supply vat invoice you will never see it. The op will pay a good fee for selling through ebay without paying 5% to paypal as well. Greedy people with a monopoly time another out fit give them a run for their money. ebay :thumbdown:

Did you see what mike was selling?:001_smile:

I was apprehensive when I sold the pinin to a romanian but all worked out fine, unlike the first English **** who did not understand that it was an auction.

The PayPal bit that bothers me, is this.....

While they won't take money directly from your bank account without your agreement, one of the things that you specifically agree to when setting up a PayPal account is to "reimburse PayPal through other means". See:

"Reimbursement for Your Liability. In the event you are liable for any amounts owed to PayPal, PayPal may immediately remove such amounts from your Balance (if available). If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by using any payments received in your Account and otherwise you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. PayPal may also recover amounts you owe us through legal means, including, without limitation, through the use of a debt collection agency."

It strikes me that you are agreeing for PayPal to be reimbursed "through other means" if there are no funds in your PayPal account, and those "other means" could well be through debiting your bank account as per the direct debit agreement.

I still don't think your buyer is dodgy, but I think PayPal cover themselves well!

Did you see what mike was selling?:001_smile:

I was apprehensive when I sold the pinin to a romanian but all worked out fine, unlike the first English **** who did not understand that it was an auction.

What you tryin to say about my classic motor? Haha

The PayPal bit that bothers me, is this.....

While they won't take money directly from your bank account without your agreement, one of the things that you specifically agree to when setting up a PayPal account is to "reimburse PayPal through other means". See:

"Reimbursement for Your Liability. In the event you are liable for any amounts owed to PayPal, PayPal may immediately remove such amounts from your Balance (if available). If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by using any payments received in your Account and otherwise you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. PayPal may also recover amounts you owe us through legal means, including, without limitation, through the use of a debt collection agency."

It strikes me that you are agreeing for PayPal to be reimbursed "through other means" if there are no funds in your PayPal account, and those "other means" could well be through debiting your bank account as per the direct debit agreement.

I still don't think your buyer is dodgy, but I think PayPal cover themselves well!

Yep I don't know the ins and outs but if I'd of asked the same question but it had been a bank transfer, I bet most would of said avoid?

I emailed him a couple of hours back about who the shipping agent was but no answer yet, maybe it's nighttime there?

Glad someone else agrees - found the Maltese people very friendly when I went out there a few years ago - they like the English and all our old cars and buses - we helped them in WW2 - quite a history there - read about "Faith Hope and Charity" three Gloster Gladiators we lent them to defend the Island!

Yes I am sure the Maltese people are very nice but if its the usual scam the buyer will have an acct in Malta but most likely lives in Pakastan or Nigeria. Not sure how they will play this as conmen are not going to go to the trouble of selling a Landrover to release the cash unless they get a refund collect and weigh in for £350. They could of course be uk based not bad for an afternoons work.

What you tryin to say about my classic motor? Haha

You have been pretty honest in your description by the look of it, Paypal offers both the buyer and seller protection in my mind. If you said it was something else then the buyer might have a case. I sold a bike trailer, on ebay, it said WIKE on the back so advertised it as that, turned out it was fake the buyer complained and paypal refunded him the cash once he had mailed it back to me. I lost out on my postage and ebay fees but got the trailer back. He is unlikely to send the said classic motor back..