eBay con?

mikecotterill

Just sold this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170870004091&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISSA:GB:1123

The winning bidder sent me this message this morning, with about 6hrs to go till auction end.

"hi mike,

what registration year is it, please give details,"

So I told him even though the reg was visible in the photos, anyway he wins the auction turns out he's from Malta, straight away I thought here we go it's gonna be a scam, so I emailed him asking how and when he'd pick it up, his reply:

"hi mike,

thanks for your e mail , informinging how iam going to pick it up . As you already have gathered i am from the island of malta. I will aproach the shipper to make contact with you on your displayed mobile phone on monday, as you well know the shippers are closed for the week end. He will come with a loader and take it to the following code NN55JR in northhampton.I shall give him your mobile to arrange collection and let the shipper talk with you. Please make sure the landrover is free from the wheel as you said it was jammed,so we dont encounter no problems for the driver. regards joe thanks"

So I emailed him asking how he'd pay and said I'd rather not get paid by paypal due to fees, so just waiting to here the bank transfer answer !!

He's got 29 feedback but that could be just 25 50p things from china? What do you reckon, and ow do I get out of it without paying final value fees and getting bad feedback?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sold my mizy pinin to a guy from Romania, they paid via paypal and came and took it away in the back of a truck. So it might not be a con.

The Winner the first time was from the UK who changed his mind after he came to see it! So that is no gurantee.

Having been through this I now specify cash on your personal collection no wrapping packing shipping or courier collections. That way they can satisfy themselves about sold as seen. I sold a concrete trenching machine to cyprus years ago and was buried in export paperwork. I would not think it will be worth the hassle for £800.00 a form of bank payment that cant be reversed would be the only way to go. Dont take paypal as he will complain and get a refund for up to 2 months after the sale.

Well update is he's just payed me through PayPal and added 35 quid on presumably to cover fees? Not sure, even tho I asked him twice not too pay by paypal, not sure what to do now? Is it possible to reject the PayPal and cancel? Here's his feedback list, all odd stuff?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341682204.142719.jpg.6a4eb77f4d014de9049491b0a5e308ab.jpg

What do you guys reckon?

Any advice much appreciated? Last thing I want is for him to somehow claim against me, PayPal refund the money and I lose the vehicle too?

Rubbish, the vehicle is still yours, your within your rights if you don't want to send to wherever he is.

Email saying i'm not happy and am not completing the transaction and i will be refunding the money you have sent!

Go to paypal, refund the money.

Go to ebay and select to cancel the transaction, and put down reasons why.

Doesn't look like odd stuff at all on his feedback list - plenty of military stuff, and Willys Jeep parts.... ties in well with lightweight LR as all seems to be his sort of thing. Might be worth speaking to him on the phone to discuss the payment and you'll get a better idea of what he's like.

I've sold loads of stuff for export before and not had a problem. Best was a Nissan Skyline that I bought in Japan, prepared it here and then exported to a bloke in Norway. Bit nervous about it at first, but the guy paid the whole lot through the bank, and I then drove from down here to Teeside, took the car on the ferry as 'freight', sorted out paperwork in Bergen. The buyer put me up in a hotel in Bergen, paid my ferry crossing and return flight to uk, and paid for meals. One of the best trips of my life it turned out to be :)

Rubbish, the vehicle is still yours, your within your rights if you don't want to send to wherever he is.

Email saying i'm not happy and am not completing the transaction and i will be refunding the money you have sent!

Go to paypal, refund the money.

Go to ebay and select to cancel the transaction, and put down reasons why.

The point I was trying to make was, say I let the vehicle get picked up by the agent, the vehicle then gets shipped to malta, the buyer then files a dispute with eBay/PayPal etc, says its not as described or whatever, eBay then find in his favour and refund the money, at worst hes got the vehicle and the money and never gets in contact again, at best he's got both money and vehicle and I somehow have to get the vehicle back. If he was picking it up I'd be ok with it. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much