working in water.

detritus21

looks like you could of done that in boots with a few strategicaly placed logs or stones.

We would of either worn chainsaw wellies and type C trousers or chainsaw waders with type C trousers

better to be warm and have protection

if the water is deep enough for waders it tends to be pretty cold anyhow

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one job we actually created a sandbag diversion in the river to move the water away from the tree so it could be worked on. Of course, each and every job calls for a different approach, but generally the simplest ideas can work well. Simple rigging can assist on dragging a butt out of a stream so that it doesnt dig in on the way up, and save a lot of strain on the winch.

Jim, I think if we knew the half of what was in our rivers we would never go in!

I love the big windblown willows we get to take out its all ways good fun watching a newbie try and sling a tree the first time without getting wet, then its the rigging and winching that makes it interesting when they are stubbon!

just out of interest, how come it had to be logged up and couldnt just be cut near the next stem and left for habitat?

That is the usual approach for these woodlands there are many many habitat piles and standing deadwood. The removal as I understand is due to the steepness of the bank, the close proximity of the public path and because there is alot of habitat piles also although it may not look like it this is a bit of a local beuty spot with a waterfall. The remainder of the sycamore is to be left standing which will probably sustain some regrowth.

This is the tree it came off you can just about make out the wound. The rest of the tree although I've not looked too closely looks in suprisingly good health.

tree3.jpg

Jim, I think if we knew the half of what was in our rivers we would never go in!

i used to go in the rivers up here, which are supposed to be really clean eg river Dove and Manifold in shorts and sandles during summer, i will not go in without either wellies or waders anymore, it frightens me when i see people swimming in these lovely rivers, because ive been to the top of the trent system and seen the rubbish that goes in in the top few miles is enough to put me off! :scared1:

I was talking to the farm manager today who was telling me he went to a farm meeting and they had the figures on pesticide levels in rivers and he said something needs to be done. On this estate pestisides have been redused by a lot but you wouldnot swim in the river. I too have used a chainsaw with waders on in the river but saying that i always as Andy said winch or drag out with the tractor where possible get it on the dry and if you can flat and level.:001_smile: