working in water.

detritus21

I saw in water most days and have been known to have a dry suit on over usual PPE but in most cases its type C trousers and chainsaw waders oh and a life jacket.

Life jacket.

well it only took 13 posts for that to be mentioned and what about a safety tag line , also bio chain oil, spill kits and environmental assessments.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lines attached to the person in the water are a no no, but there should be a throw line present, agreed,

also what type of waders? mine are neoprene due to a closer fit and they increase bouyancy so you will still float if filled with water, rubber waders will make you sink if you fill them.

other thing is chainsaw on a lanyard, so you can either sling it over your shoulder if you ned both hands, or if heaven forbid you drop it retrieval is easier, our risk assessments for this type of work is crazy, and I assume your all carrying leptosporosis warning cards in your wallets if your in/near rivers? one of mates at the EA got it, not very nice!

I have good old rubber waders. I've found out first hand what happens when you fill them with water doing a hobby of mine involving going underground. Slipped into a hole full of water and the weight of the things with just the smallest amount of water in was incredible really. Also the suction keeps you in them when you try to get them off. Bio chain oil is mentioned in both the risk assessment and the method statement. To be honest I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference in the stream I was in by the time it reaches the river it has a distinct orangey colour from ochre from the local mines and also the river has various storm outlets and mine water outlets that ain't the cleanest in the world. That said its cleaner than when I were a lad and thats only 15 years ago. A freind of mine ended up in hospital with weil's disease having had a dip in the River Irwell :scared1:.

Bio chain oil is mentioned in both the risk assessment and the method statement. To be honest I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference in the stream I was in by the time it reaches the river it has a distinct orangey colour from ochre from the local mines and also the river has various storm outlets and mine water outlets that ain't the cleanest in the world. That said its cleaner than when I were a lad and thats only 15 years ago. A freind of mine ended up in hospital with weil's disease having had a dip in the River Irwell :scared1:.

Why add to the pollution. Keep it clean where ever possible. If we all stood by what youre saying we would all be chucking our litter all over the place.

to risky, its likely to get snagged there is also the potential if you get carried downstream to get pulled under repeatedly, i would rather just wear a self-inflating life jacket and have a thrown line on site, admittedly in very deep wide channels a tag line could be justified but then again its likely the water will be to deep and also if its that bigger river just use a ridged boat,

This is an interesting post and an area of risk that we have definitely overlooked at our work. I had to clear branches and trees growing out of a river banking stone wall. The river was about waist height at the deepest points but mainly around the knees and shins. I wore waders but not chainsaw boots because waders don't accommodate them (potential market idea!) and the risk assessment did not account for going in the river at all. There were no trees to tie into to descend and the boss suggested tying into a flimsy fence to which I said no. You don't know what you are standing on and I nearly fell in on two or three occasions plus the chainsaw bar was often in the water. I got the job over and done with but was not impressed by the lack of safety management.