Mysterious problem Stihl 038 AVS

Charles Ekin

This is a tough one allright .With a diaphragm carb it wouldn't or shouldn't make any diff even if the saw were upside down how it cuts .

As a long shot it could be quite possible if for some unknown reason the fuel line might have a crack or tiny little tear in it that opens up when the saw is tipped bar side down .It's definately running out of fuel by the sound of the vid clip .

Oh another thing I don't remember if the Bing carb has a plastic fitting for the fuel line or not but I'll check in a little while .If so although a remote stab in the dark there in might lie the problem .

Grasping at straws .Run that thing bar side down and let it stall in the cut but leave the saw in the cut .Open the fuel cap and see if the filter is sticking out of the gas or as you Brits say the petrol .That would screw it up in a heart beat .

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replying, Al

The fuel line is brand spanking new and a Stihl original part. It also has behaved no differently since replacing the old one. The problem persists even when the tank is full of fuel.

As far as the attachment of carb to fuel line is concerned, it's a metal one like thislike this:

Google Image Result for http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjcwWDEwMjQ%3D/%24(KGrHqFHJCsE70J)sksQBPDeHNszhw~~60_35.JPG

Many thanks for your reply and also to Spud for the welcome. It's got to be said, Lads, you're a committed and generous lot!

Charlie

Have you checked the impulse hose?

Is there any possibility that this could be pinched/flattened or twisted, when the saw is on the side, due to worn/soft AV buffers?

Just another long shot but most of the usual things seem to have been covered.

Dave.

Entirely possible on the impulse .

The 038's had a tendency to tear the left hand side upper anti vibration mounts .Without removing same it is hard to determine if they are intact or not .If so under strain it can tilt the engine off enough to cause all kinds of problems .

Fact being on one of the 038 Mags' I own which has been enhanced some what I tore two intake boots before I discovered what the problem was because evidently I just missed the obvious .As they say,things happen .

Don't know if this has been covered or not but check to see if the coil connections are on properly could be one flapping a bit and falls away from the spark unit when tipped that way - - - long shot :001_huh:

It's got one little wire coming from the kill portion of the coil which goes in the shafted handle which engages with a ground clip .From that metal clip is a groundwire that goes to some portion of the actual engine .If it doesn't have that jumper it often isn't effective in grounding out the coil .

Now if for some reason the insulation on the wire coming from the coil is bared in any way it could short out the coil .However from the vid clip it sounds more like fuel starvation but any thing is possible

It's got one little wire coming from the kill portion of the coil which goes in the shafted handle which engages with a ground clip .From that metal clip is a groundwire that goes to some portion of the actual engine .If it doesn't have that jumper it often isn't effective in grounding out the coil .

Now if for some reason the insulation on the wire coming from the coil is bared in any way it could short out the coil .However from the vid clip it sounds more like fuel starvation but any thing is possible

Yea ! thats what I meant Al !

Ive been thinking about this for a few days now, I can't think of anything that hasn't been brought up already.

IMO it would be more than worth send spud a pm and arranging getting it to him so he can have a good look at.

Oh come ON ! I said that way back ! ! ! Quote " spud is your man ! " :thumbup: