How would you tackle this?

Billy

Have to agree i just see it as ass covering exercise to show they have done something about it when it all goes tits up. I don't think it's just by companies selling it plenty of national trust, English heritage and councils I've done work for have used it and most of the time was there choice.

And if it does create more work why is it a problem. If the clients happy to pay. The insurers happy you've taken a step to prevent something and your happy to put it up what's the problem with that?

I would imagine that all the well braced trees that have been set up correctly/appropriately are mainly still intact.

Also we have all seen tree with no defects or faults fail through no foreseeable reason,

what makes a braced tree any different.

Also once a tree has been braced is it on a upgraded surveying regime?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all failed trees with braces that i have seen, the idea of the brace was to prevent damage to property. The bracing in no way prevented damage, in one instance, it actually ripped out even more of the tree and caused more damage, it also creatd a far more dangerous tree to work on for the team concerned.

i totally agree that an inspection regime should be in place to monitor and improve the bracing where required, once installed, but I honestly believe that in this financial environment, it is not going to be so viable to justify such expenditure, and will fall foul of cost cutting exercises. How many well intentioned braces have been well inspected over the years, and how many have been neglected?

I know Im coming across as negative on this topic, but Im trying to encourage discussion, and to make people think a little about why they are doing what they are doing? Is it another goose laying a golden egg?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, mark I was a little surprised at 'just cut it' sort of comments in the thread, it's some big tangled lumps, had to release the bracing with a mix of bolt croppers and 21mm sockets. Cool job, can't say I particularly enjoyed it though

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340745915.682495.jpg.3e1f3e93246d491130462e4beb68f4ea.jpg

Thanks, mark I was a little surprised at 'just cut it' sort of comments in the thread, it's some big tangled lumps, had to release the bracing with a mix of bolt croppers and 21mm sockets. Cool job, can't say I particularly enjoyed it though

[ATTACH]95647[/ATTACH]

Ha ha. From memory I think I was one of them!

Fair play mate, looked a real gnarly job in the end.

What saws did you have up there?