working in germany?

cColville

I've taken a fancy to working in germany. i studied the language in school and have always wanted to work abroad.

i've found a few companies on the internet but before i go to the effort of contacting them i want to know a bit about working there.

what the day to day work like; is it much the same as the UK?

what sort of money can i hope for subbing, with 2 years experience and level 2 cs 30 ,31 ,38 & 39?

any info would be helpful and appreciated.

I came back earlier this year from a stint working in an office in Germany (I'm a desk jockey by day).

Clearly my experience won't be completely relevant, but things I did note are:

- H&S culture is very different - in particular, I noticed that in any environment where work is going on around roads, traffic isolation and possessions are used much less than in the UK - I have seen road workers standing in the middle of two streams of 40mph traffic.

- beer is cheap in the supermarket

- culturally, Germany is much more similar to the UK than e.g. France (where I lived a few years back)

- if you live in the Rhein / Ruhr area (Dusseldorf, Cologne, Duisburg, Essen etc) it is within four hours from Dunkerque, and a return ferry Dover - Dunkerque is only about sixty quid

- they are much more set up for wood fuel - once you get away from the populated areas, you will see large woodpiles stacked up, and in the DIY sheds you can buy proper saws, 10t splitters etc.

- infrastructure is good (public transport etc)

Good place to live though, I enjoyed it.

Germany is great, ive lived out there and served there also. From what i know about tree work, is that they mainly use mewp's. dont like to climb from the possible damage caused also i noticed they do minimal work to a tree as to keeping it natural as much as possible.

Saying this, this may change from area to area.

Id go back just for the experience, beer and night life. just dont used the 'lay-by-lil's' lol

cheers guys.

anyone know good software or podcasts for learning german?

i have a german flatmate so that'll help.

pretty sure i want to go, the Rheinland is where i was thinking of as my parents live in luxembourg and its closest to the UK

Try Deutsche Welle:

Podcasting | DW.DE

Also worth a look if you are thinking about going to Germany and trying to drum up work, ask general questions about life, banking, German admin & form filling etc is

Toytown Germany - English language news and chat

There are discussion boards for loads of things, including region-specific for adverts.