Idea

Tom10

think you just answered your own question there mate its the added friction in Ddrt that make the hitch grip all the time. SRT there is no movement in the rope there for friction is needed else where hence the need for back up. climbing around the tree SRT using a hitch, has only been made possible with the wrench. this acts as the friction replacement.

I thought the idea of the RW was to protect hitch cord designed to work in DdRT when working SRT with twice as much friction, by splitting the friction on the line between the hitch cord which controls descent and the mechanical RW which balances the system & halves the friction within the hitch cord itself?

I didn't think it was a back up device, purely something to prevent hitch cord burning out....?

But I don't climb SRT so could be a million miles out!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the idea of the RW was to protect hitch cord designed to work in DdRT when working SRT with twice as much friction, by splitting the friction on the line between the hitch cord which controls descent and the mechanical RW which balances the system & halves the friction within the hitch cord itself?

I didn't think it was a back up device, purely something to prevent hitch cord burning out....?

if you read my post again mate you will see i said to add friction to the system....

if using the hitch purely on its own then pulling down to release the hitch without any friction to help aid it grab again then the hitch may not grab and we all know what happens then.....

this also can happen with the wrench attached as carry gibson fount out when he never kept the system taught....

using a hitch on its own srt is dangerous DON'T try it......

sorry if it sounds abit abrupt simon.....:thumbup1:

That's exactly right. The hitch knot will bind up without a RW (or other device) making descent impossible.

if you read my post again mate you will see i said to add friction to the system....

if using the hitch purely on its own then pulling down to release the hitch without any friction to help aid it grab again then the hitch may not grab and we all know what happens then.....

this also can happen with the wrench attached as carry gibson fount out when he never kept the system taught....

using a hitch on its own srt is dangerous DON'T try it......

sorry if it sounds abit abrupt simon.....:thumbup1:

No mate, the reason Cary fell was nothing to do with the RW, it was because he had his VT knot tied in a 'sporty fashion' which requires constant checking.

He didn't do this and fell.

He would have fallen if he'd been on DDRT.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?x0wlvt

the hitch would be fine, its the fact that if it did not grip you have no back up mate. using any srt system requires a back up, like the rope wrench... or a belay device would work grigri something similar.....

The RW is not really a backup, it just spreads the load other wise the hitch will lock up.

There is no friction in DRT if you us a rope guide, but it works better not worse.

Sorry Adam - I get your point now, so a Gri Gri might make working your main line possible, or just go the whole hog and go 'properly' SRT, but thats another thread...

However It works on a lanyard perfectly well if used sensibly, but I think thats due to its short length and controllability.

Still keen to try it chogging down though as I find my HC is located too close to the stem, getting full of crap and not functioning properly. This idea would allow it to sit several inches away from the trunk.

Cheers for input.

Hi Tom10

I sometimes work a stem like this if I'm knocking off big chogs and descending down a fair distance.

Instead of clipping your top biner onto a small prussic tie a running bowline around the stem leaving your biner in the eye splice and clipping the tail of your rope into it.

You can descend down as normal on the friction hitch and pull down on the tail to retrieve back to yourself.

makes sense to me but here's a pic aswell.

09062012798.jpg.33452db0198cdcc895c422584665cce9.jpg

The RW is not really a backup, it just spreads the load other wise the hitch will lock up.

There is no friction in DRT if you us a rope guide, but it works better not worse.

I really didn't mean it as a back up, i meant as you describe .....sorry:blushing:

as for the cary falling thing i thought is was because he let the system come under him causing to much slack and no friction?

Great post onlab :thumbup1:

I really didn't mean it as a back up, i meant as you describe .....sorry:blushing:

as for the cary falling thing i thought is was because he let the system come under him causing to much slack and no friction?

Great post onlab :thumbup1:

Carey's system was under him but the set up was iffy. A combination of factors led to the fall but a dodgy hitch will fail on DRT and SRT alike, as I'm sure you'll agree.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?czdmji

Sounds to me like you you've just come up with a version of the CE lanyard [ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n-LSbQfNCNU]YouTube - CElanyard[/ame]

Which, thinking about it, when in single leg mode or SRT there is no device in place like the RW to take friction out of the system.

Food for thought maybe