making chains up.

bill

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
whats involved in making up your own chains from a reel? what do you need and how much money would you save?

see http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_02.pdf pages 30-31 for some easy to follow steps.

This tech manual is used by many NPTC instructors in a book form.

Most large dealers today supply both loops and reels, the equation of how much you can save depends firstly on how many chains you are buying.

i.e 3/8 .050 a 91VX100R 100ft of 1640 drive links will make up 32 [32,8] 50 drive link chains for say an MS200T 14" first get your loop cost from your dealer then the reel cost, a spinner and breaker will set you back £100 and needs to be off set against total time for real useage value.

If you work with three saws will you need three types/pitch/guage of chain so costs go up and you weigh up the difference.

Labour is your decision, wet days can be chain making and chain maintenance on average you can make a chain up in 5 minutes, when experienced the fastest i've known in 27 yrs in the industry is 1 minute 35 seconds timed.

One secret is squirt a drop of oil on the rivet head before you spin it and don't be afraid to stop and check it remains free running on the chain link and the rivet has filled the tie strap.

Many dealers tell me a lot of contractors don't sharpen on the job now they just replace.

The different chains available today are priced according to their quality of steel and technical features, a cheap chain brand may still cut wood but doesn't have the oil flow features and antivibration features of say Oregon chain. These help protect and pro-long the life of your bar, chain and sprocket so are cost effective long term.

Cheap chain has it's niche and then theres Multicut triple chromed chain which last's 4-5 times longer.

Making up chain isn't rocket science and as another on this thread said can be therapeutic.

Things are a tad bit different on this side of the pond .Several large mail order supply houses often have Oregon or Carlton chain in a 20" loop for 10-12 dollars American . By the driver length it's 22 cents per plus about another dollar in the tie strap .

So for two-three dollars less than making your own you get one ready made.It's a no brainer .

Being a collector I have some odd ball stuff like .404 by .058 and 1/2" chipper .Those I make up . On occasion I might cut down a loop if I damage a cutter or two also .