Metallic noise

Ashes_Firewood

Bought a 2nd hand Husky 372xp that needs a new bar & chain. Going to tidy it up a bit generally too.

Anyway. Noticed there's a metallic noise when I turn the chain by hand, is it something to worry about? Made a little video, hopefully you can hear what I mean.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgxQI9PDxE]YouTube - 372xp noise[/ame]

Also does anyone know a good website to get genuine Husqvarna spare parts from? Things like mufflers and sprocket covers? & guide bars and chains...

Thanks

Whip the side casing off and have a check of the drive components. Also check the needle bearing but it sounds like a worn drive sprocket to me. It sounds more like these parts than say the nose wheel on the bar or a problem with the chain.

We dont have any parts listed on the site yet but its the next thing to do on my list. Although we supply all husky parts we will probably just get a selection of the more commonly needed spares on the web site as saying it takes ages to upload products is an understatement!:laugh1:

We have chains and bars listed on the site though.

As suggested sounds like a well worn powermate rim . ( drive sprocket ). The tangs on the drive links of the chain locate in the slots of the powermate and the tie strap links roll accross the smooth ( once ) cylindrical surface as it rotates. If not replaced every now and then ( say every 3 chains ) the tie straps ware into the once smooth surface leaving an imprint. this makes that kinda noise . This also drops the chain speed slightly due to the reduced effective rolling radius of the rim sprocket and the added friction of the links " climbing out of the imprint they have made . All this waffle is the same as saying worn sprocket ! !

Also does anyone know a good website to get genuine Husqvarna spare parts from? Things like mufflers and sprocket covers? & guide bars and chains...

Thanks

I've been using Green Stripe for parts for my 254. They seem really good/quick, although the postage is expensive, so it's worth ordering several items at once. There may well also be suppliers affiliated to this site, but I haven't found any that can supply the parts I need online...

I was recently looking for Husky parts and originally ordered from a supplier I found on the internet, after 2 weeks in which they had lost my parts and my CREDIT CARD details I cancelled the order and phoned F R Jones, they got the parts to me quickly with no fuss.

As others have said, check the rim drive if fitted, the sprocket bearing but also the clutch springs, one may have gone and the loose clutch segment may be hitting the clutch drum on rotation.

Pull the side cover off and get down and dirty - I wouldn't use it until the fault is found - just in case.

Does the chain spin round at idle or is it stationary? If you don't know then check out the above before trying!!

The chain moves a tiny bit sometimes at idle. I'm not planning on using it till I've had a few things done to it and had it checked over. I've only started it up and revved it to make sure it runs ok. I've another saw I'll use till I know this one is 100%.

Thanks for the replies and parts site suggestions :)