Best heat resistant hitch cord

will.morris

The cord they failed was beal regate which is only cheap stuff anyway so maybe on that the strength qualities were compromised. Unfortunately i don't have a way of taking a picture of it so i think I'll run it past the guys at gustharts and my climbing instructor to get some trustworthy opinions.

Climbing on it its perfect but I don't have enough knowledge to make a decision as to whether its compromised or not.

I have various other cord/split tails that I can use until I know though so its not like I'm going to climb on it until I know the situation.

But thanks for your helps Peter and Tom.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cord they failed was beal regate which is only cheap stuff anyway so maybe on that the strength qualities were compromised. Unfortunately i don't have a way of taking a picture of it so i think I'll run it past the guys at gustharts and my climbing instructor to get some trustworthy opinions.

Climbing on it its perfect but I don't have enough knowledge to make a decision as to whether its compromised or not.

I have various other cord/split tails that I can use until I know though so its not like I'm going to climb on it until I know the situation.

But thanks for your helps Peter and Tom.

Love your being sensible - many others wouldnt look twice at a bit of shine of hitch cord, including me. A few plucked fibres on the rope sheath havent yet worried me either, am I being stupid or am I in the majority of arborists!

Good luck with it, I kinda hope your wrong being so careful, if not youll need to bulk order some hitch cords!

Because I know I'd kick myself if I woke up in hospital paralysed because I did'nt replace something that costs under a tenner!

I'm now starting to think it's probably fine but I'll still get it checked. I know plenty of people that always leave their system on when they put they're rope back in the bag and i bet theres would look the same if not worse if they untied it.

Because I know I'd kick myself if I woke up in hospital paralysed because I did'nt replace something that costs under a tenner!

I'm now starting to think it's probably fine but I'll still get it checked. I know plenty of people that always leave their system on when they put they're rope back in the bag and i bet theres would look the same if not worse if they untied it.

I ditto that!

I ALWAYS untie my system not only to check and for safety reason, but if its wet / clogged full of crap it doesn't work nicely next time.

Chuck a pic up bro of the beeline. I've never heard of beeline getting destroyed on one climb, I'd almost say its impossible! Washing it can make it into a new cord again normally. Beeline, armour prus, hrc are all stupidly resistant to heat and will melt the rope before themselves. Op is slightly less heat resistant followed by the standard poly hitch cords.

Dak: The rope itself was a college one and almost new. I do like to keep my own ropes clean though and like you say it is amazing how much crap comes out!

DrewB: Don't have a way of taking a pic of it unfortunately. I've convinced myself almost that it is probably fine, will try giving it a wash as you say :). It was'nt the first climb on the beeline, its about a month old but was the first sign of any real heat damage.

Use a mates iphone for a pic, its 2012 :)...

Its amazing what loler inspectors will/wont pass. I've seen bang on splices failed... due to lack of knowledge on inspectors side, open up the rope and check out the core..... how is it, im interested...

Certs/loler regs hinder people using whats often referred to as common sense/knowing your ****, and rely on LOLER inspectors to tell them if their kits safe.

My opinion although I know loler has its place...... I know my kit, and i know whats safe, be it on my own back, pisses me off to hear ller inspectors talking about how they cant say hand splices are safe but have absolutely no idea how the are preformed...

Get some pics up but to me Cord should NEVER wear out in 1 climb..... If it did, well i'd just never use it again!

Either way trust your gut, if YOU don't think its safe, don't climb on it......