3 Strand Nylon

KingoftheRing

Will definitely get some false crotch/split tails and pulleys, too. Also looking at a Portawrap.

It really is confusing trying to figure these ropes out: 16 plait,, 32 plait, single braid, double braid, Portland braid :confused1:

What does it all mean???

Just to confirm, the Teufelberger Sirius is a double braid and I could splice like this?

[ame]

[/ame]

Not meaning to sound like a dummy! Just got a lot to learn.

Edited by KingoftheRing

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Class one is for db with an ordinary fibre inside and out, class 2 is for a core dependant splice on a rope with a high breaking strength core. The high strength fibres need an adapted splice to reduce strength loss.

I only quit using 3 strand hesian because people employing me as a freelance climber claimed it invalidated their insurance. If not for that I'd be on it now. Can't beat the feel of 3 strand in yer hand IMO:001_smile:

First, I must say I've been out the game a while, so I'm slowly working my way through this site and browsing old arb suppliers and their websites trying to update my knowledge.

I won't be climbing on any 3 strand, but I did always love the versatility of the stuff, climbing (if needed), lowering, strops, tying down loads etc. I sat at home many a night making strops from the stuff.

I can't see any advertised (climbing or lowering) and wondered if it is still possible to buy the stuff???

Not sure if it's what you meant but climbing on a rope you've used for rigging is a big no no.

I had this pointed out to me a little while back when I asked if i HC could be used for light rigging.

Not sure if it's what you meant but climbing on a rope you've used for rigging is a big no no.

I had this pointed out to me a little while back when I asked if i HC could be used for light rigging.

No, not what I meant. I just meant that the rope is very versatile and can be used for anything (not the same piece of rope!!) :001_smile:

3 strand does feel good in the hand, I don't know why, but it does.

Hello,

The video explains measurements in fid lengths. There are two good reasons to avoid using this method. 1. If you dont have a fid you cant do it. 2. If you do have a fid you will find the tighter covered climbing and hitch cords much more difficult than if you use a wire fid.

Rope splicing tools - Treeworker.co.uk

Brion Toss has a great formula for double braid class I which you can find in 'Working Rope-basic braided splices'. This book is a great resource.

Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging::Books