3 Strand Nylon

KingoftheRing

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I must say I've been out the game a while, so I'm slowly working my way through this site and browsing old arb suppliers and their websites trying to update my knowledge.

I won't be climbing on any 3 strand, but I did always love the versatility of the stuff, climbing (if needed), lowering, strops, tying down loads etc. I sat at home many a night making strops from the stuff.

I can't see any advertised (climbing or lowering) and wondered if it is still possible to buy the stuff???

It's gone pretty much obsolete in tree work, as others have said there are much better ropes out there these days.

I doubt you will find a tree work suppliers that stock it but a quick web search found this, there will be others

Timko Ltd (UK): Nylon Rope,3 Strand Nylon Rope

Buy a length for your nostalgia but don't miss a chance to check out the newer products. Speaking as someone who started climbing on three strand nylon, the thought of going back to it makes me shudder.

Edited by treequip
Fat finger typing

Hello,

I'd look for some 16 strand for climbing rope, honey's can splice that for you and these guys in essex sell polyester 3 strand. 3 Strand Polyester Standard - Items - One Stop Chandlery - The chandlery for the dinghy enthusiast

Polyester is harder wearing and less stretchy. If you enjoy splicing then look at hollow braid rope. You can get a polyester version called tenex, it's easier than 3 strand to splice!

There are so many ropes available, it gets confusing!

Thanks for the replies and the links, much appreciated.

I thought it had been outcast as the arb suppliers I was looking at don't stock it.

I have been looking through the "splicing" threads, seems I have a lot to learn!!

Looking at all the "new" does ropes seems really confusing.

Climbing:

I think I will get the XTC Fire for climbing on (my old red XTC was bullet proof).

Lowering:

Would I be able to splice something like this?:

Teufelberger Sirius Rigging Rope

Thanks once again :001_smile:

Splicing double braid is very different to splicing three strand, but no more difficult once you've learnt the technique.

Tenex is great for making slings and things.

Modern sheathed ropes dont like being run on natural crotches as a rule, so you will need to get some pulleys and stuff too.