Airspade

andrew t

Spent all day yesterday using an Air knife with water, aka Mist Knife, aka Mud Knife. No worries with siloicosis but i was bathed in mud all day. Glorious work--gave up on keeping goggles clean and just used it by feel after a while.

my helper's in blue; i'm in the coveralls, drenched in mud and ecstatic with the ability to blast through subsoil that a pick would bounce off of. With water added, some incredibly hard soil was broken through quite readily.

At times i t was like visiting a volcano...the earth moved and oozed. Jamming a hole in one place would bring up a geyser a meter or more away. :beerchug:

X-HFA SUPERSONIC AIR KNIFE OPERATION.doc

MODEL X-HFL FUNCTIONAL INFORMATION.doc

597660cf2db6e_joyce008.jpg.f22269da54737536652c82bb6eda04fb.jpg

597660cf296d2_joyce006.jpg.b1cfdfa3224faf0eca627df21ba7af14.jpg

597660cf248aa_joyce001.jpg.9b0085ed57cb1de306a1347b3d7f3172.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent all day yesterday using an Air knife with water, aka Mist Knife, aka Mud Knife...........:

Is it just the local soil texture at that site, that's the reason for the compaction Guy?

Has that tree been subject to a historic mulching spec ?

What's the species?

Cheers

D

"Is it just the local soil texture at that site, that's the reason for the compaction Guy?"

2 things--the uphill side had a house ~10' from the trunk, so the surface soil was quite hard. On th edownhill side it got very hard 6"+ down. Tha tmight be due to "plow pan" from farming way back when, but this is not a flat site and near the center of town, so i suspect it's just the local texture.

"Has that tree been subject to a historic mulching spec ?"

no just lawn...i started caring for it ~8 years ago and recommended mulch so they did a 4' radius, placing it up against the buttress roots a bit too much. The tree kept declining so I called for them to extend the grass-free area 10'. if the tree had better longterm odds i may have called for a bigger area, but the bermudagrass will be a huge weed issue in the mulched area as it is.

we radially trenched that area, and blew individual holes beyond that. by angling the tool the fracturing goes way beyond the holes, though.

"What's the species?"

Q falcata, southern red oak. the red oak subgenus is nominally in 'decline' (a horribly abused term, hence one topic of the upcoming august detective tale) so we have no illusions of miraculous rejuvenation. but the owner is happy to have it done, perhaps partially out of family guilt as his father had the poor thing brutally topped ~20 years ago.

Q falcata, southern red oak. the red oak subgenus is nominally in 'decline' (a horribly abused term, hence one topic of the upcoming august detective tale) so we have no illusions of miraculous rejuvenation. but the owner is happy to have it done, perhaps partially out of family guilt as his father had the poor thing brutally topped ~20 years ago.

Thanks Guy :thumbup1: