DIY log splitter pics

mikecotterill

Haha it'd also have doubled the weight with your axle haha

I didn't know that about the moisture, obvious now you've said it though.I dOnt really wanna buy any more oil though, just had a thought if there's some way I could put something in there, like in a toilet cistern to increase the level. Have to have a think

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha it'd also have doubled the weight with your axle haha

I didn't know that about the moisture, obvious now you've said it though.I dOnt really wanna buy any more oil though, just had a thought if there's some way I could put something in there, like in a toilet cistern to increase the level. Have to have a think

Yeah, when I offerd you that axle I thought you were building a mans splitter:001_tt2:

As far as the oil goes Keeping the air to the minimum required is best practice but it's not the end of the world.

If you don't want to add any more oil any sealed plastic container that will displace air will be fine, plastic milk bottle springs to mind but for domestic usage I wouldn't bother.

• 4 weeks later...
good job mate but i bet its slow? you need to run a splitter off a tractor to make it worthwhile and productive

Sorry but this is total bullpoop. A 13hp honda clone motor is more than enough to run the phattest of pumps.

I have more pressure and flow from the above set up than i do from my 85hp tractor.

Personally i would have had the cutting blade at the end and the ram just moving a thick peice of plate.. ie the log is pushed through the splitting wedge. I am building one now so i am intersted to know why you decided to do it the way you did. Also the splitting wedge is very broad, what made you go down this route? Just curious not being critical, as i say all my ibeam is all layed out on the workshop floor at the moment thats all!

With regards to the size of the hydraulic oil tank, bigger is better without doubt. The amount of heat my 72lpm pump is generates is huge, i can feel the heat from my 10tonne ram on my face as i am working! I am using a 75l tank and kinda wish i had gone a bit bigger.

My plan is to be able to change from standard, 4 way and 6 way blade depending on the wood i am processing.

I looked at this one this afternoon and nearly changed my plan as i have access to a ram a bit bigger than this :001_rolleyes:....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sR9clGOi9E&feature=related]Homemade log-splitter 30 ton - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by windfall

Hi mate cheers what do you mean about it being broad? Do you mean the way it spreads out? If so I reckoned it was better to spread the log apart rather than try to slice the log, if that makes sense. So the idea is the blade just starts the split then doesn't do much after.

There was a few reasons for putting the wedge on the ram, the main was it was going to be a vertical and horizontal splitter to start with but with the ram I used that wasn't going to be to easy so I ditched the idea, the other advantage I thought was it'd be easy to but different ends on it so I could have a 4 way splitter or another flat plate to make a press for bushes etc.

Cheers mike

Sorry fella but your making a sweeping general statement from an experience of one crappy machine that was obviously not up to the job of running a splitter.

Small honda type engines are more than capable of putting out double the flow of a tractor. My Loncin honda clone is putting out 72lpm where my IH885xl 4x4 tractor is only putting out 40 at max rpm. Double the flow means the splitting is running twice as fast!

I am getting near double the power and speed that when running on my tractor and use only £6 of fuel in a day compared to £4 an hour with the tractor. Plus the tractor is free to move bags of logs.