Air-spading.....what a waste of time and money!

Paul Barton

Perspex full face shield is what I use. Enough room for a dust mask beneath doesnt steam up nearly as much as goggles

I have tried a perspex face shield but the gaps around the edge still let too much dust in.

Nothing ideal yet Dave. I saw a gas mask style arrangement a while ago that I think Gristwood and Toms use for OPM removal that looks like it might be good.

Dave - we get these jobs in fits and starts. I'm trying to push it more as a service I think customers find it hard to see the point and the cost. Most of the work is commissioned begrudgingly by contractors that have had their wrists slapped by a tree officer.

That said, we have used it positively for a few councils and estate managers for root investigations on Beech with Meripilus.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried a perspex face shield but the gaps around the edge still let too much dust in.

Nothing ideal yet Dave. I saw a gas mask style arrangement a while ago that I think Gristwood and Toms use for OPM removal that looks like it might be good.

Yep, I too thought that looked the right way to go.

Haven't costed it yet though.

Think I'll use this to bump & explore that idea further.

IMG_3505.JPG.620fc9ee0068109a20ffefcd5249765f.JPG

It's a dirty job no matter how you do it. Never tried a gas mask but my brother's daughter is a fetish model and I know she has a couple of gas masks. Maybe I should borrow hers next time.

Ok cat amongst the pigeons time. Is this airspading really all its cracked up to be, or is it a case of the Emporers new clothes?

I can do the spiel for clients on most things, but this is one job I struggle to sell. I think a lot of the reason is they can see a trees branches, leaves, deadwood, birds nests and seeds, they cant see subterranean, so it doesnt matter to them, and any expense is deemed a waste of money, unless of course the planning guys insist on it in planning report. This in turn, IMO, breeds resentment from the idiot fraternity on sites as Paul found out. Unfortunately this attitude isnt just found in the knuckle dragging Neanderthals level, but all the way to the top of the developement team. trees are still very much seen as a nuisance to the developer.

Unfortunately this attitude isnt just found in the knuckle dragging Neanderthals level, but all the way to the top of the developement team. trees are still very much seen as a nuisance to the developer.

Quite. I should have said that the mocking came from site managers and supervisors, not just the man with a shovel!

Obviously this tool is not a wonder-drug for tree health - it has to applied in the right situation.

For sensitive excavation (for laying pipes/repairs etc) around tree roots and utilities it's unbeatable.

Whether it is effective or necessary for de-compacting soils depends on the soil type. I have been asked to de-compact soils on development sites as the developer has had a ticking off from a TO as tree fences were breached. However, when I have arrived on site I have discovered a sandy soil with a light structure; it may have been driven over by dumpers and the roots may have been crushed to death but the soil is not highly compacted!

I have read that the air-spade is regarded as more effective for de-compaction than a terravent spike, and I gather the likes of Kew favoured the air-spade for this reason.

I think it is now agreed that the best method for de-compaction is to lay a natural mulch, introduce earthworms and then fence the area off, letting nature do its thing. However, many urban areas don't allow such a luxury of time so soil remediation with high pressure air may be the next best thing.

May be the developer gets his planning consent etc, doesnt mean he likes it, its just another hoop to jump through as far as he is concerned, but I suspect he will complain to his foreman, who will relay his displeasure to his groundworkers, who will be cantankerous and awkward as soon as youre on site.

Still, this is all small fish to them compared to the Archaelogical surveys, and the pita that causes them, so tbh they do need to get over it.