Air-spading.....what a waste of time and money!

Paul Barton

.....at least that's what I have been informed of for the last 3 days by every Tom, Dick and Harry that works for a civils or building firm!

I have spend 2 days air-spading a trench through a Lime tree's roots in for a new water mains, and a day at a University radial trenching (soil-decompaction) around 9 Silver Maples. (I'll stick some pics up tomorrow).

I try and take people as I find them, and not pre-judge......but I really have met some morons this week!! I have been told:

• my work is a scam and a waste of money (I just provided a service I was asked for!)
  • the trees that have had their roots driven over by dumpers and diggers will be fine (perhaps - but they'll sure do better in de-compacted soil)
  • that the trees should just be cut down anyway (f*%k 'em were the exact words).

Geez, I am in danger of coming over all "hamadryad" here, but what is the matter with people? I know that trees are inconvenient for groundworkers and builders but that doesn't mean they have to be so insulting about them (and me!).

I don't normally get wound up about this sort of thing but today it just got to me....rant over:biggrin:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why youre in a very well respected and complicated line of work and they are just shovling shi--- dirt

As a certain Glynn Percival once told me if you want to be a Tree Surgeon dont buy a chainsaw - buy an Air Spade.

nuff said

I wonder if Glynn was being paid to say that:confused1::lol:

Haha, it's common practice near me (work), even from "in-house" too!

Two ash trees (fairly large, and urban) have been taken down today, one healthy, one with hispidus

The one with hispidus could of easily become a workable Pollard where it was, and the healthy one (which I took down) would of been fine with a reduction...

Thought we were supposed to "care for trees"

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I'm writing a dissertation on soil compaction amelioration at the moment. This paper shows how effective air spading can be. Perhaps you should print it off and have it on standby, then shove it in the face of anyone who gives you grief. It will shut them up I'm sure.

http://www.gwri.gatech.edu/uploads/proceedings/2009/6.7.4_Morris.pdf

Paul, more time on the tools would have prepared you for such circumstances.

:]

Ha ha, that may be true Carlos. Please tell me from an old-timers perspective how you wouldhave responded.

Should have just flicked them the bird perhaps.

.....at least that's what I have been informed of for the last 3 days by every Tom, Dick and Harry that works for a civils or building firm!

I have spend 2 days air-spading a trench through a Lime tree's roots in for a new water mains, and a day at a University radial trenching (soil-decompaction) around 9 Silver Maples. (I'll stick some pics up tomorrow).

I try and take people as I find them, and not pre-judge......but I really have met some morons this week!! I have been told:

• my work is a scam and a waste of money (I just provided a service I was asked for!)
  • the trees that have had their roots driven over by dumpers and diggers will be fine (perhaps - but they'll sure do better in de-compacted soil)
  • that the trees should just be cut down anyway (f*%k 'em were the exact words).

Geez, I am in danger of coming over all "hamadryad" here, but what is the matter with people? I know that trees are inconvenient for groundworkers and builders but that doesn't mean they have to be so insulting about them (and me!).

I don't normally get wound up about this sort of thing but today it just got to me....rant over:biggrin:

I think a large glass of red wine is in order for you tonight :thumbup:

I dont see the issue here, so a couple of ignorant site workers dont give a flying fig about the trees and told you the truth according to them. Of course, in their tiny minds they are right, they read the Star or the Sport, the effing trees are an effing nuisance and quite rightly should be felled, in fact most of the time they would have pushed them over with a digger before anyone saw them, but Planning probably got in the way and stuck their noses in. So now they have some namby pamby Arboric....ambulanceman... Tree hugger blowing air around them and slowing them down.

Paul, it really doesnt matter what they do and think, have some wine and chill out, another day tomorrow :thumbup1: