Reliability Stihl Ms261 Husky 346xp NE

Kay 9

I completely understand where you're coming from - when they were first talked about I was absolutely convinced I wasn't going to have one due to the autotune. Took a 560 on demo for a week and within the first 5 minutes I was pretty much convinced I was going to buy a 550 off the back of using the 560. I almost didn't want to like it but really impressed me.

So far, mine has been fine, but if it does go wrong I'll finish the day off with whatever spare saw I've got with me and drop it in the dealer on the way home. I know they'll get it sorted as quick as they can. If it turns out to be problematci it can go on ebay once the warranty's out - by then it should have earnt it's keep anyway.

My understanding is that all the auto tune is doing is twiddling the high and low screws as such anyway.

the 346 isn't bad - but the 550 is a whole new level :thumbup1:

You should be able t o pick up a 550 for £500 all in without too much haggling - that's 346 money isn't it?

Not bad but I think the money here in Ireland is quite a bit more, need to verify yet. I really need to see one of them 550s in the flesh and run it.

If you get a 346 and want to make it perform like , or better than , a 550 p.m. spud to give you a price for a tune . he will port the saw and get it running faster and stronger than standard safely . He did mine and it screams pulling a full chisel chain on a 15" bar being driven with a 8 pin powermate rim . Worth every penny in my book ! :thumbup:

Not that I wouldn't like a ported saw mate but I want to keep this saw for a good few years without problems. I don't do a serious amount of cutting tbh but might consider it down the road. I thought the 346xpNE is supposed to be one the fastest 50ccs out there?

id say 346xp,, ive had mine over 2 years now and its been hammered in that time, i havnt had to replace anything on it apart. its reliable and tried and tested,, however i have herd good things about the 550xp
Thanks for reply mate. It's defo between the 346 and 550 xp. Not have my mind made up fully, but the 346 is a bit in front due to it being tried and tested. :)

I've got the 550 and its a ripper . The pick up is scary fast combined with its ultra lightness i cant see it being beat in its class ( spud tune aside ) .

A word of caution though if you intend to cut biggish timber regularly then i wouldnt recommend it , the saw is just too physically small . :001_smile:

Is it not as good as the 346 in the bigger stuff? Has it as much torque as the 346?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad but I think the money here in Ireland is quite a bit more, need to verify yet. I really need to see one of them 550s in the flesh and run it.

Not that I wouldn't like a ported saw mate but I want to keep this saw for a good few years without problems. I don't do a serious amount of cutting tbh but might consider it down the road. I thought the 346xpNE is supposed to be one the fastest 50ccs out there?

Thanks for reply mate. It's defo between the 346 and 550 xp. Not have my mind made up fully, but the 346 is a bit in front due to it being tried and tested. :)

Is it not as good as the 346 in the bigger stuff? Has it as much torque as the 346?

Me and my buddie were coppicing hazel a month or two back both using our 346 saws . I picked his up as he had taken mine ( like you do ) and I honestly thought there was something wrong with his . I had got so used to mine his seemed like a slug ! I think a spud tuned saw will last just as long if not longer than a standard saw as it is running more efficiently .

Never tried a 346 k9 so cant say if the 550 is better or not ( i would think it is on potential performance only ) . You can be old school or be the new kid on the block :thumbup1: 346 will be gone soon anyway :thumbdown:

Yeah I really need to check out the 550 mate. Just checked the Irish dealers here and they don't list the 550:confused1: Oh and the 346 is 803Euro :001_rolleyes:

Me and my buddie were coppicing hazel a month or two back both using our 346 saws . I picked his up as he had taken mine ( like you do ) and I honestly thought there was something wrong with his . I had got so used to mine his seemed like a slug ! I think a spud tuned saw will last just as long if not longer than a standard saw as it is running more efficiently .

I'm into tuning diesel cars and vans myself:D Might just look into porting my next saw. It's supposed to be a wicked little saw when ported agree:)

Definitely need to get my hands on a 550 lads. Like the sounds of it. At the moment I'm just looking primarily for a firewood saw but am looking into forestry work in the future possibly as things aint good in my line of work at the moment. Need to do the courses but eh why not. :)