Sequoiadendron giganteum

Stubby

Thanks for all the ideas you guys . Firstly only put a price in not actually got it yet . Its in a back garden so no crane, forwarder , tractor etc . Think its going to be one of those mammoth wheel barrow jobs ! !

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told in America that the reason the old sequoias survived so well was that when felled they were very brittle and of little saleability.

Are you sure there is a market for this wood?

Always a market for a wood so individual - albeit a very niche market, if someone has a purpose for it, it could be a go'er as its not that readily available.

:thumbup1:

A lucas mill for a wellingtonia is gonna be a big ask. No pun intended. Can you get a crane to near it?

I have just read it is 8 foot at base - so fair point - it wouldn't handle in one go... but some strategic chainsaw work to reduce it in size would mean it can still be milled by a lucas on site (i chose this as a simple example as they're very portable and would neatly fit in a back garden with little access.)

Obviously choice 1 would be extract the timber and mill elsewhere but this seems to be unachievable from the original post.

Wikipedia

Uses- shingles/fence posts/match sticks

I think it was public outcry when they saw so many smashed on the ground that led to stopping felling the giants.

Seems you may not have such a problem as your tree is unlikely to be that old

I bet you end up logging it:001_smile:

Wikipedia

Uses- shingles/fence posts/match sticks

I think it was public outcry when they saw so many smashed on the ground that led to stopping felling the giants.

Seems you may not have such a problem as your tree is unlikely to be that old

I bet you end up logging it:001_smile:

Bloomin Wikipedia :001_rolleyes:

I have seen posts made from it but they're pretty rubbish. Not very sturdy, break and crack and........ there's better timber for posts in general. not sure about matchsticks :confused1: a Wellingtonia 8ft at base should produce a fair few matchsticks!

Its uses are better served aesthetically with jobs that dont put too much strain on the wood. It really does produce lovely deep red timber and I would love to have a use for it... ie cladding a summerhouse or something pretty!

Logging it seems sensible for this chap to do given circumstances. Be nice to see it pus to something good though :thumbup1:

Bloomin Wikipedia :001_rolleyes:

I have seen posts made from it but they're pretty rubbish. Not very sturdy, break and crack and........ there's better timber for posts in general. not sure about matchsticks :confused1: a Wellingtonia 8ft at base should produce a fair few matchsticks!

Its uses are better served aesthetically with jobs that dont put too much strain on the wood. It really does produce lovely deep red timber and I would love to have a use for it... ie cladding a summerhouse or something pretty!

Logging it seems sensible for this chap to do given circumstances. Be nice to see it pus to something good though :thumbup1:

Just using wiki to pad out my knowledge not sole source

I agree fence posts seem a bit mad if brittle

Matchsticks were used as a tourist revenue stream.

As in go see the sequoias and buy a box of matches made from them- Ironic really

Shingles or cladding it is then

or LOGS:biggrin:

Just using wiki to pad out my knowledge not sole source

I agree fence posts seem a bit mad if brittle

Matchsticks were used as a tourist revenue stream.

As in go see the sequoias and buy a box of matches made from them- Ironic really

Shingles or cladding it is then

or LOGS:biggrin:

Sweet idea, but agree ironic!... It would be nicer if the logs that were made out of it were nice firewood - but IMO it burns quickly and smokey anyway (easy to split though)

Look forward to seeing the outcome, please post a pic if you do something cool with it (but dont bother posting a pic of a pile of logs if you cant do anything else with it :lol:)